OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where have all all the 7x35s gone? What else?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where have all all the 7x35s gone? What else?
    Posted: December/10/2013 at 11:48
Long time lurker, first time poster.  This is of course the inevitable, help me chose a pair of binoculars thread.  

My optics background is as an amateur astronomer, so I have looked through both good glass, as well as bad.  I hunt and backpack in Idaho, generally in open country.   Having dumped my money into larger, less portable optics, I have always made due with budget porro prism 10x50s and a set of Meade roof prism 10x32s that I got as a gift. The views in the meade's are about as good as the 10x50s, maybe a bit better. Backpacking makes me weight conscious and on any overnight trip I either go without or take the 10x32s or something even smaller.   

I am ready to step up and buy a new pair of binos.  My grandfather has a pair of 7x35s that I am in love with. I believe they are pentax, but could be B&L.  They are at least 35 years old.  They have good clarity, they are powerful enough, gather enough light and are really handy.  I would love to buy a copy of them.  However the only 7x35s on the market that I can find are really budgety, and they show it.

So I am wondering is there anything out there that I am missing?  I prefer porro prisms (they are better for astronomical viewing due to the way the prisms are put together) and I like how they fit in my hand.  My price point (see below) also leads me toward some porros.  The only things that seem to come close are the Leopold Yosemite's and the Vortex Raptors.   Neither are really 7x35s, they are either 6 or 8 power, and have smaller objective lenses (30 and 32s).  I am currently leaning toward the Raptors probably in a 8.5x32 model, but as a glasses wearer the exit pupil size of 3.7 will likely require me to remove them to really use them.  

I wanted to step back in magnification from the 10x but still have enough oomph to glass the open Idaho hills, but also be small enough that they are handy.  LocoLoco

So I am open to suggestions.  I have five little girls who absolutely love binoculars, we are awashing in "big 5 specials" and while I would love to drop the money on an alpha pair, but despite all my efforts there is no way that the little wonders wont get their hands on what I buy at least at some point, so I am not yet in a place to drop that kind of money.  I am looking at a 100-200 price point.  Though if there was an actual 7x35 with some good lenses I might spring some more.  

Thanks for the help.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 12:47
Steinier makes 7x30s and 7x50s like you are wanting.  THey are good binos

http://swfa.com/Steiner-Binoculars-C378.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 14:05
The Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 with 9.3* FOV is excellent.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-7x35-Action-Extreme-ATB-Binocular-P42214.aspx

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/11/2013 at 14:59
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 14:25
Easy one. Nikon action, Aculon or action ex. The last is my favorite of the bunch with plenty of eye relief and a fairly well corrected field. The other two are good but not as good as the EX.

There is also the Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36 roof and the Celestron Cabalry 7x30. All are right around the $100 price point.
Frank
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 14:41
First off, welcome to OT.

The Zen Ray ZEN ED 7x36 is back on the market.  I'd go there.  Otherwise I'd go to the big auction site in the sky and search for 7x35 binoculars.  The vintage area can be a minefield, but there are some that give up nothing to anything.

You can likely find some used for sale just like grandad's.

Your five little girls will absolutely adore the Leupold Yosemite 6x30.  Better get six so you can have one too.  Smile You will be amazed at how good these are.

Actually the determiner of how well they work with glasses is eye relief, not exit pupil.  People are obsessed with lots of magnification, in many cases to their ultimate detriment.  If I handed you an unmarked 6x30 Yosemite and told you it was a 7x, I doubt you would know.  The Raptor in 6.5x is good too.  The interpupilary distance goes down to fit near set younger eyes, and the Yosemite was designed for kids.  What is important there is to get your girls something suitable for them to use, that they can use, and will use.  The Yosemite does all that.

An 8 or 8.5x version would do for the Idaho hills.

If you want to go looking for used vintage, post up, I'll give you what help I can navigating the rocks and shoals.

Edited by Klamath - December/10/2013 at 14:56
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 17:04
Originally posted by IdahoSkies IdahoSkies wrote:

I prefer porro prisms (they are better for astronomical viewing due to the way the prisms are put together) and I like how they fit in my hand.

My price point (see below) also leads me toward some porros.

I am looking at a 100-200 price point.
Though if there was an actual 7x35 with some good lenses I might spring some more.  

Daniel,

You are correct about the Porro prism binoculars for "stargazing".
Roof prism binoculars, that are in the lower price ranges, are notorious for spiking on bright stars.

Porro prism binoculars fill up my hands much better than any small roof prism binocular,
this in turn allows for better image stability when stargazing.

Porro prism binoculars also offer better illumination, overall, for the nighttime skies.

I have two, older, Nikon 7x35 Gold Sentinel binoculars and they are excellent for stargazing.

You won't be disappointed with the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 and its w i d e FOV.

Stan
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 18:34
I just bought one off eBay for 19 dollars and some change!!   Free shipping!  Bucky   A Tasco Model 118 extra wide angle---587 feet @1000 yds!   

Visit the Ed Show
IdahoSkies View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSkies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 19:44
I have always been a leary of "the big auction house" in the sky for things involving lenses, mirrors, and electric parts.  But those are almost throw away prices. Hmm. 

The Nikon Extreme's 7x35 are the same weight as my 10x50s so I was trying to find something lighter, though they are definitely better balanced with the small objective barrels. 

I guess with my price range I have to find a good balance between my desires. 
trublu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trublu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2013 at 00:26
Hi. Yes you can't have cheap, good quality and light in the one unit :) You'll have to make some compromise. However, I think there is an easy answer to your question. Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 are porro and only 17.3 ounces. You won't notice any difference between 7 and 6.5 magnification except that they are slightly lighter ;)

Personally, I think roof prism are better for your application of backpacking and hunting since they are lighter, more compact, more waterproof and more robust than the same objective lens diameter/magnification/exit pupil in a porro. Though of course you'll have to pay more for quality.
optics (so far): SightronIII 3.5-10x44, Zeiss conquest 3-9x40, Eotech 552, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36, Zenray ED3 8x43, Vortex Viper HD 6x32.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2013 at 12:13
There are a few other 7x30 porros based off the lightweight Yosemite design., the Zhumell Emerge and Celestron Cypress being two that immediately come to mind. I would also suggest the Celestron Nature 8x30. It is actually a 7x30, measured, despite what is on the label. They are selling for as low as $40 recently and only weigh 17 ounces.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic