OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x40 vs Prostaff 5 3.5x4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soapy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x40 vs Prostaff 5 3.5x4
    Posted: December/09/2013 at 21:07
So its been 3 years, and my Buckmaster 4.5x14 mildot broke on me while firing. The front 1" lens broke free and slammed against the objective, chipping it. I sent it to Nikon, and they replaced it with a Prostaff 5 3.5x14 mildot. Upon opening the shipping box and seeing the prostaff logo, I was ready to fume a bit thinking Nikon sent me a lower quality scope as opposed to a buckmaster (From what i'm reading, they actually discontinued the buckmaster mildot scope). However, after a bit of internet research, it looks like the prostaff 5 series is apart form the standard prostaff. 

Can anyone comment on that? How does the Prostaff 5 compare to the buckmaster? Pricewise, the prostaff 5 is slightly more expensive than the buckmaster, and on paper the specs seem to be in its favor. But of course that does not always reflect real-world performance. 

I'm hesitant on actually putting on the scope, because I'll probably give it away or sell it and  end up putting a higher-quality, lower-magnification (maybe 1-4 power) scope on my rifle (FAL). I have a feeling that even the prostaff will eventually fail with all the shooting i'm doing. Of course scrounging $1000 for another scope is a different story all together. 

Soapy5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soapy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2013 at 21:18
Just noticed, that I, again, messed up the title. just for clarity's sake, the two scopes im talking about are:

Buckmaster 4.5-14x40
Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 08:08
Greetings! 

I'm surprised you broke the Buckmaster! I had the same scope, (with Niko Plex), on a .300 RUM and I tried unsuccessfully to break it, but never did. 

I have an older Pro Staff 4x on my Marlin Model 60, but I haven't seen the new Pro Staff's outside of a big box store. Hard to get a vibe on them inside under the artificial lighting. 

I don't know, Pard. If you feel like it's gonna fail, or in your case, "FAL" Wink, sell it and get something else. 
I'd probably ring it up and give it a go, if you like the power range.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic