OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Good traditional base for high recoil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskethead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Good traditional base for high recoil
    Posted: December/05/2013 at 08:18
Hello: 

This is the question.  I'm shooting a Browning BAR in .338 Win mag and a TC Prohunter in .300 win mag.  I have a rail on the BAR with detachable Warne rings.  The same on the T/C.  I have Trijicon 2.5 - 10 by 56 mm scopes on each.  I'm not happy with the BAR's performance.  I want to return to traditinal scope mounts and rings that won't move or cause issues.  I'm also considering a change away from Trijicon to a traditional cross hairs scope.  Can someone please suggest a good steel base and accompanying rings for high recoil hunting rifles?  I think I've had enough with the rails and detachable rings.    Thank you. 
You get much further with a kind word and a gun, than you ever will with a kind word alone!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 08:27
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 09:04
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Concur with SVT. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 11:18
Muskethead, the aforementioned Talley LW rings are excellent, and will withstand plenty of recoil, but keep in mind, they aren't steel rings as you requested; they're aluminum alloy.

However, they are every bit as strong as many steel rings because they have a wide gripping surface with 4 cap screws per ring, and there is no separate base + ring; they are integral and mount directly to the receiver without a separate base.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 11:47
I concur with SVT also or you could use a Leupold Dual Dovetail system. I've used both systems, to me it boils down to personal preference.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 12:47
The Leupy Dual Dovetail system is indeed very good as well, as it dispenses with the weakness of the traditional "Redfield" dovetail system -- the dreaded rear windage screws that provide a very weak connection. It also gives you the added flexibility of using any mfg's rings designed for the "turn-in" dovetail cam system, so you have additional heights to choose from, along with being able to use the Burris Signature rings with the self-aligning inserts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2013 at 19:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The Leupy Dual Dovetail system is indeed very good as well, as it dispenses with the weakness of the traditional "Redfield" dovetail system -- the dreaded rear windage screws that provide a very weak connection. It also gives you the added flexibility of using any mfg's rings designed for the "turn-in" dovetail cam system, so you have additional heights to choose from, along with being able to use the Burris Signature rings with the self-aligning inserts.

+1.. I've run the signature rings in double dovetail for quite awhile now and I swear by them. One set is on a Kimber Montana in 338WM and they are great for rifles with firm recoil.. I generally just swear at windage adjustable bases...
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 09:34
Talley steel bases and rings are very strong and the machining is precise. They look good too.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 09:46
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Talley steel bases and rings are very strong and the machining is precise. They look good too.

Yes, they are indeed strong. I like them and have several sets. They incorporate recoil shoulders in the bases, and as you said, the machining is very precise.

Some folks don't like vertically-split rings. I do like the clean look of Talley's vertically split rings, but I'm neutral on vertically-split rings in general from a functional standpoint. They're just a tad more difficult to setup and get the scope rotated so the reticle is square than with horizontally-split rings. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more sets in the future.
Ted

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2013 at 09:44
I run Talley bases and TPS steel rings.  They are traditional base and rings but they won't move! I had them on a Mark V .340 Weatherby for (5) years and they never moved!
CDR3
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2013 at 10:32
i have a game reaper one piece scope mount.it looks solid to me.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2013 at 21:17
I use Leupold QR steel rings and bases on both my .338 and .30-06.  They return to zero reliably, and let you carry an extra sighted-in scope for hunts in remote areas.  I've never had a problem with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic