OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica vs * (others)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B!ngoFuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica vs * (others)
    Posted: November/30/2013 at 22:32
This is my first-time posting though I have been following this forum for some time so be gentle.
I just looked through a thread seeking info on Steiner and, rather than hijacking that thread, I decided to start another. I'm thus looking for opinions about another (relatively obscure) brand. That is Leica rifle scopes.
I have long been a fan of Leica optics. I had a chance to use their M-series cameras many years back and the images they captured were stunning, apparently attributable to their optics.
Now having purchased a nice bolt-operated long gun (Tikka Sporter 24" chambered in .308) I fulfilled my long-standing wish with a Leica 3.5-14x42 scope. It 'seems' fantastic but I'm looking for context and opinions because - well I'm just curious what others think and; I am considering a 2.5-10x42 for another Tikka T3 Lite .223 that I have just purchased.
In general, seems to me that these scopes get little attention because - they are relatively expensive for their capabilities; they are light in features (no lit crosshairs, no fancy BDC capabilities, etc.) despite the fact that they have excellent glass and high-end build quality.
But that's my impression. What do others have to say? How do these compare to the less popular such as Steiner and Meopta and the more known high-end brands such as Swaro, U.S. Optics, and Schmidt (for example)?
I'm really interested in a broad set of opinions.
Thx,
B
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 22:38
Optically they are as good as anything out there. There are a bunch of guys on this forum that have them and really like them
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 00:25
They are indeed fantastic and as good as any other similarly sized scope out there.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 03:36
Welcome to the OT!I don't think it's a matter of how good the optics are,that's already been established. I think it's a matter of trust.Leica used to have one of the best names in the industry & some years ago their customer service went completely down the drain,I guess the I am immortal factor got them & the customer took a back seat to what-ever.About 3 yrs ago they jumped back in & it's been an uphill battle.I own the 3.5-14 scope & it is fantastic.I've had no problems & I haven't heard any complaints on any other sites I visit.I would get the scope & not look back.SWFA sells them with a great money back guarrenty.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 08:46
Leica's duplex reticles are too thin for low light hunting IMO.  Most euro duplex's are for that matter. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 16:10
I agree...which is why in my two Leica 2.5-10x42's, I have the #1 and #4 reticles, which are both good BG hunting reticles that are plenty thick enough for extremely low light. I wish the thick outer bars extended a little closer toward the center on the #4, but I can live with it as-is. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in a deer stand right now, watching 2 does mill around 75 yards from me as i post this, with a rifle topped by one of the two Leicas laying across my lap, this one with the #4. I hope to lock that #4 reticle on the shoulder of a nice buck before it gets dark this evening. I absolutely love this scope!

They're fantastic scopes, among the top tier hunting scopes on the planet!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 18:53
Welcome to Optics Talk. Cool screen name. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 22:13
is the #4 leica reticle similar to the meopta #4?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 07:32
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

is the #4 leica reticle similar to the meopta #4?

Yes. Outer post thickness appears to be the same, but the spacing between the ends of the thick posts and the center point of aim is greater on the Leica version.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 08:09
I spent the last 4 days hunting with the new Leica 3-12x50 illuminated with the IBS reticle and locking target elevation turret.

I will agree that the glass is as good as anything else on the market.
The IBS reticle is a tad thin but with the 1 MOA black center dot and semi heavy outer posts I would have had no problem past legal hunting time on deer.  I didn't see a buck I wanted to shoot but did have a chance to watch deer out to 300 yards and the scope is certainly up to the task.

The illumination is perfect for low light hunting.

Two minor negatives:
1) the IBS reticle is in MOA while the turret is in 1cm, they should match.
2) On a light rifle (mine is on a 6.75lb Nosler) it feels a little top heavy for off hand use or out stalk hunting, I tend to do a fair amount of both and it is a little on the heavy side for balance.  Out f the blind with a good rest it's no issue of course. 

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic