OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mini ACOG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mini ACOG
    Posted: November/27/2013 at 13:26
Can anyone tell me what the model number is to the mini ACOG in the picture?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 15:05
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 15:57
That looks like what I'm looking for- now to try and find a good used one.

thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 15:58
They pop up on the samplelist every now and then -
SampleList.com 

You can sign up to get daily updates of whats added to the Samplelist daily -

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 23:23
I have two of the compact ACOG scopes one is a red crosshair in (3x no longer made - very short eye relief but work ok with a a La Rue RCO mount).  The second is a 1.5x amber triangle. I notice that the amber washes out when pointed toward street lights at night so I tend to prefer red but If I were to buy one having had these I would probably pick the 2x in the red crosshair.

Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA47R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$975.80 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 08:16
That's good to know. I want to do a 20" A2 build, and attach the compact ACOG to the carry handle, like in the pic. I would prefer more magnification than 2x though, I looked at a compact last night in a local sporting goods store and it was a 4x32 with the red chevron and .223 ballistic reticle. I'm a little confused because SWFA only carries up to 2x. Is the 4x compact no longer made?

Edited by mil169 - November/28/2013 at 08:30
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 08:59
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

That's good to know. I want to do a 20" A2 build, and attach the compact ACOG to the carry handle, like in the pic.

Why do you WANT to do an A2 with a carry handle, respectfully? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 09:32
I might not be using the correct terminology, but basically I want to do a M16 forgery so to speak. The scope wouldn't be correct but I wanted another option over the open sites.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:18
I hope you are open to some suggestions.  Most of the military is transitioning to flat top guns because the placement of optics and ability to interchange optics is better with a flat top gun and one can still have flip up iron sights for a back up.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:19

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:30
I'm open to and like most configurations. I just want a retro styled rifle and realize there are more practical and perhaps useful styles. The question for me now is how close of a replica do I want to build. Color, lower, upper, ect.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:35
SWFA carries both ACOGS http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Acog-Rifle-Scopes-C208.aspx
and compact ACOGS http://swfa.com/Trijicon-Compact-Acog-Rifle-Scopes-C209.aspx
The ACOG scopes are more adequate for military use at longer distance where the compact ACOG scopes are more adequate for Police use or self defense under 300 yds. With my 3x zeroed at 300 yds I can hold sub minute of angle with it consistently, but I can also do the same thing with iron sights.  I personally do not like to add an optic to a carry handle rifle and yes I have both so if I am running optics the rifle is either a 16 in or 18 in which I prefer and has a mid length gas system.  The open sight carry handle rifle is a "Service Rifle Match Competition" gun designed to shoot NRA competitions where open sights are used and not optics.  NRA competiton match guns are usually very heavy rifles not really the same thing as one would use in combat but very accurate. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=259  If you are not already invested into .223  aka 5.56mm you really should give serious consideration to other calibers and to how you wish to use the rifle.  .223 is made to shoot a 17 lb animal at 100yds and for that it does a very good job.  It is really asked to do more than it is truely capable as a primary military rifle cartridge and there are multipe other calibers that are a better choice.   6.8 SPC is one choice which will run on the standard AR-15 lower  but be legal for hunting deer where .223 is not in most states. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17834&cat=291&page=1

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:40
Rock River Arms Complete Lower W/Standard Trigger AR0901CX Rock River Arms Complete Lower W/Standard Trigger AR0901CX
Stock # - RRAR0901CX
  • RRA A2 Black Buttstock
  • Standard Trigger Guard
  • Standard Mag Catch
  • RRA Overmolded Black Grip
  • Standard Safety Selector
  • FFL REQUIRED for shipment.
$279.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:46
Upgrade the trigger http://swfa.com/Geissele-Triggers-C4439.aspx 
Geissele High Speed DMR Trigger Geissele High Speed DMR Trigger
Stock # - GEIHSDMR
  • Small Pin
  • Fire Mode: Semi
  • Primary Use: Military (Squad Designated Marksman), Precision Sniper Rifles
  • Adjustability: 2nd stage weight, Sear engagement, Overtravel
  • 1st Pull Weiht: 2.3-3.6 lbs
  • 2nd Pull Weight: 0.5-1.5 lbs
$278.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 16:57
You can also go with the slightly larger frame rifles chambered in .308

There are some really high quality rifles like La Rue OBR etc but your build time will exceed a year at this point.

If the point is only to have a classic military type rifle personally I would prefer a Springfield Armory M1a

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2013 at 17:44
Those are all very good options, this rifle will hunt nothing bigger than a coyote and mostly likely be used as a plinker. I have really grown to enjoy the AR platform and thought it would be cool to have something like the original.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic