OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta MeoStar S2 or Zen-Ray Prime HD 82

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Style Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta MeoStar S2 or Zen-Ray Prime HD 82
    Posted: November/23/2013 at 06:35
Hi All,

After years of dreaming, I'm finally at a point where I can afford to spend some money on a decent spotting scope. I've pretty much narrowed the choices down to:

I was really hoping to stretch to a Kowa TSN-883, but looking at the system as whole, it would leave me with no cash for a decent tripod, scope cover etc. From what I have been reading, the Meopta and Zen-Ray give up little to the Kowa in optical terms anyway.

Has anyone here used both scopes?
I believe that either of them will be more than optically adequate for my purposes, but does anyone have some feedback on other more subjective issues such as ergonomics, tactile adjustment feel etc?

Really the only thing that is keeping the Meopta in the running is it's excellent FoV, otherwise I would probably rule it out on price compared to the Zen Ray. Anyway, if anyone can offer some 'hands on' type of feedback about them, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris 
Galvie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2013 at 22:47
I hope someone chimes in.  I am also interested in knowing more about the Meopta S2.  
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2013 at 04:58
Petersen's Hunting just did a spotting scope review in their September issue, for extra reference.
Don't know why the Zen-Ray was not included;

Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 19:46
I have looked through the Meopta S2 at cabelas at an eye chart and I would take the Meopta over anything at Cabela's. I compared it to the Swarovski HD spotter (800 more) and side by side i could get a sharper image meaning i could make out finer lettering at the bottom of the shart. My dream scope is an S2 but i'm young and still cant afford those.

One question. I've sent SWFA a price 110% guarantee form over the internet for a scope to see if they would match or beat and haven't heard anything back from them... How long does this normally take?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 20:27
I reviewed the Meopta S2 w/ 30-60 and it is outstanding.  Aberrations are well controlled and resolution is with the very best.  It also has Meopta USA backing it up.  

My only gripes are a little pincushion on the low powers, a pretty stiff focus ring, and a crappy eyepiece cover.

Just an all-around awesome scope.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic