OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Comparison of Vortex Razor and Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparison of Vortex Razor and Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: November/21/2013 at 12:38
Having not decided between the Vortex 8x42 Razor and the Zeiss 8x42 Conquest I ordered both for a at home layman's test and comparison. I made my own chart which was 43 ft. away and the test was held in low and medium light. 
1. Both a friend and myself thought the Razor had a sharper image. Was it $210.00 better than the Conquest? I thought so.
2. The focus knob on the Conquest was firmer, which I thought was faster to get a precise focus.
3. The Conquest had beefier eye cups.
4. Though not as beefy as the Conquest.  I thought the Razor eye cups were easier to adjust to get the proper distance. 
5.  A small point though I thought it should be mentioned. The Razor had  much better designed objective covers than the Conquest, as well as thicker eye piece covers. I found the objective covers from Zeiss were so poor I would of ordered some to replace them if buying the Conquest.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 14:50
Thanks for posting your observations, Losthwy! We appreciate your input!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 15:57
Interesting about the price. a local dealer here has both has them for about the same  price, $999 for the Conquest, $1,049 for the Razor, both 10x42.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 17:30
So... which one are you keeping?
Losthwy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 21:03
I will be keeping the Vortex 8x42 Razor.
CSG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 11:52
Interesting.  When I compared these two models at Sportsman's Warehouse, I came to the opposite conclusion.  I found the Conquest HD 8x42's better in every way except for the eyecups.  I ended up with the HD's but traded them in for the HT version when it became possible to do so.

I think the Razors are quite overpriced.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 12:54
I think the Razors are overpriced as well (I think most Vortex products are overpriced). Of course that doesn't mean that they are not very good. In fact, I like them a lot, and they are one of the few Vortex products that I really like.

Everyone's perceptions are different as you well know, and I came to prefer the 10x Razor over the 10x Conquest HD. Not that the Razor was any better in any way -- I just preferred things such as color, feel, handling, etc. over the Zeiss. At current prices, I would have gone with the Zeiss as they are just as good while being cheaper, but I ended up with a Razor anyway as I found a mint-condition used one for an excellent price.

It's too bad that Vortex doesn't make a 32mm Razor. I might have one of those instead of my 8x32 Conquest HD......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic