OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner Tactical 4-16X50 - Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner Tactical 4-16X50 - Thoughts
    Posted: November/20/2013 at 09:23
Looking for thoughts on Steiner Tactical 4-16x50

http://swfa.com/Steiner-4-16x50-Military-Tactical-34mm-Rifle-Scope-P48603.aspx

I've read Ilya's review in his High End Tactical Scopes: Part III article but curious on other comments.

I have an opportunity to trade a Les Baer UTC for a NIB Steiner Tactical.  Plan would be to mount it on a 260 Remington rifle I'm building as a long range hunter/1000 yard rifle.

Size of the Steiner isn't to my liking, but no doubt it can handle the role this rifle is designed for.  Eye relief is short, but not particularly concerned with it on the 260 Rem

Seems like a no brainer trade and worse case I can flip if for the SWFA 5-20X with a couple dollars left over.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 09:47
no experience with that one but I do have with the Steiner Military 1-5 and it is an outstanding scope that I would put in the same class as S&B, Kahles, etc..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 12:24
Thanks.  Probably making a bigger deal about this than I should.  Given the company you've put Steiner in, should be an easy decision.

Only problem I see is what happens when I have to buy another scope after using the Steiner?  Can never go back.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 12:53
That Steiner 4-16x50 is big, heavy and sometimes unwieldy.  It is, however, a raging bargain in the high end optics world since the only scope close to it in price with that class of performance is Premier LT.

I have a couple of years of use on that Steiner and I like it a lot.

ILya
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 13:14
I am glad so see good comments on the Steiner as well. I just picked up a 3-12 tactical. It was to good of a deal not to buy. I have only taken it out of the box, and so far I am impressed. I am not sure what rifle I am going to put it on yet. I just couldn't pass it up. Now comes the re-prioritizing the rifle/scope combos and sighting in again. Which means I get to go shoot more!!!Big Smile
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 13:26
Big and heavy is an appropriate description.  I can't get over the size of the elevation and windage knobs.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 14:53
The elevation and windage knobs are par for the course for the scopes of this class.  Competing designs from S&B, Premier, etc have similarly sized, if not bigger, turrets.

Steiner strengths are eye relief flexibility and overall optical quality.

In terms of durability, I have not had any problems with it, but since the scope line is new it is hard to tell.

Mechanical repeatability with the Steiners I have seen is excellent.

ILya
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 15:04
ILya,

Can you elaborate on the eye relief flexibility?  I read that in your article but didn't understand the point you were making.

One of the concerns I originally had was the shorter eye relief compared to other scopes, but since the 260 Rem isn't a hard recoiling scope, decided it wasn't a major issue.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 07:58
Should have the new Steiner tomorrow with more to follow once I receive it.  Seller is a long range competitive shooter that also owns a store that caters to that crowd.

He won the same scope during a competition a few months ago and the Steiner became his primary optic  on his competitive rifle.  The eye piece was having issues and Steiner asked him to return it.  The scope had some "character" due to use, but he received a new Steiner Tactical two days after sending his old one in, which is the one I'm trading for.

Now that is impressive customer service.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2013 at 15:13
Just picked up the Steiner and the knobs are really impressive, as well as the zero stop.  It is a very long scope, but not as heavy as I thought looking at pictures.

Haven't played with the glass enough to form an opinion, but looked very good.  Not sure it is leaps and bounds ahead of my SWFA 1-6X, but not sure if that is a reasonable expectation either.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2013 at 15:20
Ss hd glass is impressive for sure. Its not far behimd my swaro z6 glass imo
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Colcalcipherol View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colcalcipherol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 12:47
It's big, heavy, and terrible!  You should definitely sell it to me!  :)  Just kidding (except for the selling part).  I have the 5-25x56 MSR version and I love it but I don't have it on a hunting rifle so the mass is not an issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic