OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 or Vortex Razor 8x42?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 or Vortex Razor 8x42?
    Posted: November/18/2013 at 17:47
Down to these two choices. Anyone who is familiar with both what are your thoughts? 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2013 at 18:07
Pretty much a toss up for me.  The Vortex has what initially appears to be a brighter image, but after looking through them for a while, it becomes the only real difference is the color balance of the image.  The Vortex is on the cooler side, with a more neutral a\balance.  The Zeiss has a warmer, ever so slight reddish balance, similar to the approach used by Leica and Nikon.  The Vortex is actually possessed of a color balance more like the Zeiss Victory FL.

In the final analysis, you won't miss seeing anything that is there to be seen with either one.  Not much point in spending more on something else allegedly "better" either.  I'd suggest you throw the Meopta HD into the mix as well.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2013 at 22:42
We have an 8x32 Conquest HD and a Razor 10x42, so I am familiar with both lines. Also tried the 42mm Conquest HD when I was shopping for a 10x42. I can say that both are excellent, so the good news is that you will not make a bad choice. IMO there isn't anything about the view or quality of construction that makes one better than the other. What separates them are one's subjective evaluation of appearance, texture, focus knob speed, etc.. For many reasons, I preferred the Razor over the Conquest HD, but those reasons where personal preference, and not something that would translate to you or anyone else. In fact, the Razor is about the only Vortex product that really appeals to me.

I will say that the Razor is over-priced at normal retail. It should be priced about the same as the Conq. or the Meopta HD that Klamath suggested (and what a wonderful suggestion it is!). Fortunately for me, I was able to find a used but mint-condition Razor at an excellent price, so that is what I own. I will say that as much as I prefer the Razor over the 42mm Conquest HD, I would not have paid any more for one over the cost of the Zeiss.

I hope you get to try them out. From what I've read, it seems that some people have problems with eye-relief with the Zeiss. Evidently, the eyecups do not extend out far enough for some people.

Oh, btw -- I prefer my 8x32mm Conquest HD over either 42mm bino...
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 08:38
The more I use my cabelas euro 8x32 HD, the more I'm impressed.  It is an exemplary overall package.  I'd put it up against anything made.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 09:18
I've become a huge 8X32 fan! To me, it represents a fantastic compromise package. IMO, it has just enough objective lens diameter for a reasonable (4mm dia) exit pupil size, in a form factor that's small and light enough to not get in the way and be a burden hanging off your neck all day. At the same time, the typical 8X32 isn't so small and light that it's hard to steady or gets swallowed up in my hands. Whenever I need a steadier view than I'm able to hold with the light 8X32's, I either rest my elbows against something or, if I'm wearing a hat, I pinch my hat brim with my index fingers while glassing. It doesn't take up much room in packs and luggage. 8X is my favorite magnification for an "all-around" use bino, and I believe 10X is too much for a 32mm objective.

It's so handy that I'm more likely to take it with me wherever I go. In the past 4 years of use, I haven't encountered a single hunting or general wildlife viewing scenario where I wished for 42mm or larger binos over the more compact, lighter 8X32. Yes, given equivalent quality, you'll get a bit better low light performance with the 42's and might gain a couple extra minutes of productive viewing. However, my 8X32's (Leica UV HD) will already take me well beyond legal BG hunting hours anyway, so I'll take the more handy size and weight. From the day I got these terrific little binos, I practically haven't even taken my 42 and 50mm binos out of their cases since, and I can't say I've missed anything!

All the binos mentioned in this thread are superb, so you won't make a bad choice with any of them. I would just encourage you not to overlook 8X32 binos. A really high quality 8X32 will provide better low light performance than you'd expect.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 11:13
Rifle, from a diehard, lifetime user of 10x42 glass, I agree with you 100%. 
Losthwy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 12:41
I've been using a 8x32 Minox for years and acknowledge the lighter weight and smaller size is a plus. On the flip side it is noticeably less bright than the 8x42, and have found them to be wanting when glassing in low light while hunting in the past. I did compare the 10x42 Viper and the Cabela's Euro 8x32 (Meopta) . The Viper was much brighter. The 10x42 binoculars have the same issue. And the goal is to upgrade to a model with better low light performance, so I am set on the 8x42. I will be using these mostly for hunting and wearing glasses.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 15:54
Everyone's eyes are different, that's a fact that will always be.  I had a Gold Ring HD, Viper HD, and Euro HD all in 8x32.  The Viper went down the road due mainly to it's finicky eye relief/positioning for me.  I also have had for the past 10 days the 8x32 euro HD, a 8x42 Gold Ring HD, and a Meopta 10x42 HD side by side in the field hunting.  The 8x32HD takes a back seat to nobody in this crowd.  

You can go over to the birdforums and read this guy's review and comparison of the Euro 8x32 HD and a Zeiss 8x32 FL T, a binocular at the very top of the food chain.  The difference, in his opinion, is miniscule.  I'm not surprised.  When I take a top quality 8x32 and compare it to a top quality 8x42, as Rifle said, you may get a minute or two extra out of the 42mm, maybe, and that's a big maybe.  

If you're dead set on the Conquest HD or Viper HD, but them both and send the one back you don't like.  You only have to convince yourself. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic