OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Scope
    Posted: June/04/2006 at 09:46
8403 Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope Nikon 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
  • Realtree Hardwoods
  • BDC 250
  • 1"
SWFA: $269.95
More Info... Buy Now
I placed a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 on my Thompson Center Encore .50 cal musket and zeroed the scope at 100 yds. This scope was designed to work with a 250 grain bullet pushed by 150 grains of powder. The interesting thing about black powder rifles is that they do not all like the same thing - some rifles like mine are more consistently accurate with heavier bullets or lighter charges of powder. Most guys start testing with 80 to 100 grains of tripple 7 or Pyrodex and work their way up to 150 to see what the most accurate load of powder is. Multiply that times the many different available bullets you can push out of the rifle and you really have your work cut out for you. Since this is seventh black powder rifle I have owned in the last five years I have found certain things that seem to work for me. I like the Barnes bullets mainly the 285 gr BTHP and the 300 gr HP (Flying Saucer) both kill deer very well. I also like about 120 grains of powder and find that I get better accuracy at 100 to 120 grains of powder than at 150 grains. So even if you alter the load from the 250 gr bullet pushed by 150 grains of powder to what I was shooting (300 grain bullet at 120 grains of powder) you can still use this BDC scope with good and consistent results - but dont expect the circles to represent the same distances as it does with the lighter bullet traveling faster. I zeroed the crosshairs at 100 yds and the bottom circle is about right for 200 yds which with some additional shooting I should be able to assign a distance to the two middle circles which will be somewhere in between. This is perfect for me because my deer blind is set up with food plots at 100 and 200 yds.  If you are using the  250 grain bullet and 150 grains of powder the BDC is designed to be -  cross hairs on at 100 next circle down on at 200yds next at 225 yds and bottom at 250 yds.  But you can see that even if you use a different load you can use this scope with good success. As for the circles on the BDC at first I thought they would bother me but get them out on the range and they are great because the targets I shoot at have concentric circles X ring 10 ring 9 ring etc and this system is actually easier to shoot (circle centered on target circle) than trying to center the X of a traditional crosshair on a target circle. You get 360 degrees of feedback. As for the glass it was bright and clear and the 3-9x40 power range is a fine choice for the range most people hunt deer at. The adjustment knobs are nice crisp 1/4 moa clicks and I really like the finger adjustable short target type knobs. Since the circles are 2moa or (2 inch at 100 yds),  (3 inch at 300 yds), (4 inch at 400 yds) you could use them for rough estimates of range finding with objects of known size. The scope I bought was finished in the realtree camo pattern and my Encore has black stocks for now but may have camo stocks before too long. This scope is a great choice for a 50 cal musket and has an amazing 5 inch eye relief - no black eye from this scope. I have tried a lot of things on my muskets and this is the best choice I have found bar none. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2006 at 16:57

I am glad you like the scope.  From what I understand it is based on the Buckmaster and has similar glass.  Would you agree? or is it more comparable to the Monarch line?

Also, I was under an impression that all the cricles are 2MOA which would make them 2" at 100 yards, 4" at 200 yards, 6" at 300 yards, etc.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic