OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zeiss duralyt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeiss duralyt
    Posted: November/13/2013 at 06:26
anyone own one. ?   bought a new
rifle and lookin to scope it soon.     just wondering anout these i havemt heard much on them. good eye relief? id assume glass is between conquest and victory?   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2013 at 09:08
Yes, I have a 2-8X42 Duralyt. I would say image quality is at least on par with Conquest, maybe a bit better. I think the W/E adjustment feel is better (more tactile clicks) than Conquest. Eye relief is the same as Victory series, which is 5.54". It has a good FOV and it's pretty forgiving of eye position.

I like the 2-8X42 because of its relative compactness, along with the fact I like scopes in this mid power range for BG hunting rifles.

In my view, the main weaknesses of Duralyt scopes is threefold...
First, it has fairly noticeable field edge softness with some barrel distortion at the low end of the power range. On mine, this means below about 4X. Some people may be more distracted by this than others, but you aim with the center of the reticle, not the outside edge of the field, and the center field is pretty sharp. It doesn't have the resolution of the Victory series, as you'd expect for the price, but it has good resolution and great low light performance.

Second, at full retail price, I don't think it represents the best value compared to the likes of Meopta Meopro, Conquest MCC, Leupold VX-3, Swaro Z3, etc. Mine was a demo model off the Sample List (www.samplelist.com) at a significant discount; otherwise, I probably wouldn't have ever bought it.

Third, it has a great reticle selection as long as you like the #6 (illuminated)/#60 (non-illuminated version). If not, you're out of luck, as that's the only reticle offered in Duralyt. I happen to like the reticle just fine.

Don't get me wrong; it's a good scope. It has good center field resolution and great low light performance. It's a simpler optical design than Victory, resulting in a slightly less refined image. That coupled with fewer options in power range and reticle selection, no T* coatings, and no LotuTec coatings helped Zeiss achieve the price target they were looking for to place it as their "entry level" 30mm scope. An "entry level," made in Germany Zeiss is still going to be a great scope. Still, I just don't think it offers a significant enough optical performance over Conquest to justify the extra cost (the byproduct of being made in Germany vs. assembly outsourced to US for Conquest). If you can get it at a discount (used, demo), you're not bothered by the soft field edge at the lowest power, and the power range meets your needs, I say buy it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2013 at 21:00

he could try the conquest  HD5 line  they have the LotuTec coating and excellent glassExcellent

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2013 at 20:32
Yep, the HD5's are very nice! The only downside I see to them is they're a bit long and heavy compared to other 1" tubed scopes of equivalent top end magnification.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic