OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a tough scope.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a tough scope.
    Posted: November/10/2013 at 04:55
I need a variable scope that can take the negative impulse of a muzzle brake on a relatively lightweight 378 WBy Magnum.  I have broken mark 4 leupolds in the past with the same setup.  I do need some decent power also for long shots.

Now here is the only caveat. Since this rifle is a sporter I want to keep it svelte looking.  I do not want a 22 oz Nightforce or anything like that.  Also in case it gives up the ghost it needs to have great CS.  Also need some power for LR elk.

What do you suggest for $1k budget?
This is the rifle.

Edited by Fotis - November/10/2013 at 06:05
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2013 at 07:56
Beautiful rifle.  In your price range and weight restrictions, I just don't know of a variable that has the internals.  Of course some of that depends on your upper mag requirements, etc.  

Edited by Kickboxer - November/10/2013 at 08:03
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 19:35
I would like to use it for Long range elk if the accuracy is there.  So yes I do need some magnification a minimum of 10 power.

Any input?
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 21:08
leupold
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 22:03
The SWFA 3-9SS would suit your needs.  It is one of the absolute best 3-9 scopes on the market.  The glass is good enough you won't miss the "extra" 1x.  It is rated for 50BMG.  I'm not a fan of 3-9 scopes, but I am a fan of this one.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 22:18
+1 on the SWFA 3-9S.
jawbone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jawbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 23:00
I'm running the SWFA SS 3-15x42 on a .30-06 Mauser for my LR elk.  So far so good.
It is the burden of the man who asks the question to bear the answer.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 23:09
I truly believe that fixed power scopes are tougher than variable scopes. Personally having owned both the SS 3-9 and the SS 10 HD and most of the other scopes in this line I would suggest you go with the SS 10x HD it is still a fairly reasonable size scope the 5-20x50 is a good deal larger and the 3-9x42 is not that much smaller than the 10x fixed.  There are several standard models of fixed power in 10x one has side focus one has rear focus and then there is this HD model with the HD glass this thing is built like a tank it is very solid and was designed according to Military specs and is currently in use in combat. While you may not be looking for a tactical type scope you will grow to love this one the glass is quite good and easily equal to scopes double the price better than my Leu Mk4 s.
SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD10X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
  • IN STOCK
$799.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2013 at 23:13
I have one of these fixed 16x on one rife and I like this scope a lot.
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42MQ
SALE  $259.95

Save: $40.00Ends: 12/2/2013 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 09:32
Thank you fellas.  Decided on a nightforce 2.5x10x32mm compact I got on a steal of a deal.  Warne steel bases and rings.  Already lapped same.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 09:39
cool
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 10:25
I was going to recommend that but... it weighs about 19 ozs. and you seemed opposed to that amount of weight. Hopefully, it will be just what you need. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 11:15
What can I say.  Life is a compromise....better than 25 oz!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 14:22
10-4 on that.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 14:48
Can't argue with your choice, but I mounted a Nikon Monarch and Zeiss Conquest on my 340 Weatherby.

Not a 378 Wby, but neither rifle is something you want to shoot a lot of anyway.  Optics held up just fine and actually broke the original Wby wooden stock.  Wood stocks and the dry Colorado air aren't particularly compatible.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 15:03
Nightforce makes a nice scope, it should work well for you.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2013 at 21:04
I didn't think the NightForce had enough eye relief. I'm not a fan of the Mark V rifles but I really like the 378 cartridge. I would like to build a quick twist one on a Magnum Ruger or CZ 550 Magnum action. It would be a good rifle for the educated problem brown bear. .
Have you had a chance to shoot yours much with the NF?? How is it holding up. ?
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2013 at 21:14
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Can't argue with your choice, but I mounted a Nikon Monarch and Zeiss Conquest on my 340 Weatherby.

Not a 378 Wby, but neither rifle is something you want to shoot a lot of anyway.  Optics held up just fine and actually broke the original Wby wooden stock.  Wood stocks and the dry Colorado air aren't particularly compatible.

I really like the Weatherby style stock. For an off hand hunting stock. . So much so that I put an MPI fiberglass Weatherby style stock on the 1 st 458 Win Mag that I built. It pointed very well from offhand or kneeling. I bedded it in real well and it held up great. A good friend had a 460 in a Mark V for a while. He rated the recoil to be twice as bothersome as my 500 A-Square Hannible. . That is saying quite a bit as he had shot my 500 several times over about a decade. . That 460 finally gave him so much neck, spine and other damage that he sold it after 40 full house rounds or so. .   
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2013 at 22:48
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger Cold Trigger Finger wrote:

I didn't think the NightForce had enough eye relief.

Have you had a chance to shoot yours much with the NF?? How is it holding up. ?

The 2.5-10x32 Nightforce has 3.7 inches of eye relief. And I have a Nightforce on my 50cal. No problems.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2013 at 05:57
Welcome to the OT CTF!

Did you also bed your rings 0n the 458?

Beautiful stock.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic