OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help me spend my money with swfa fast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help me spend my money with swfa fast
    Posted: November/03/2013 at 16:58
I need a scope to go on my muzzleloader and I need it fast. I'd like to spend under $200. The scope will be going in quick detach rings and sitting over a peep on a weaver style base. I'd like something reasonably small in size and high magnification is not needed. Durability and low light abilities are most important. I do not want any sort of a bdc retical.

Let me know some options to check out. I'll be ordering by tomorrow and paying for overnight shipping.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 17:06
These come to mind, though I am not a big Leupold fan, these are nice…

Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader ScopeLeupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope
Stock # - LEU113860
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multicoat 4 Lens System
$199.95
Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader ScopeLeupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope
Stock # - LEU113861
  • Matte
  • Turkey Plex
  • 1"
$199.95
Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader ScopeLeupold 2-7x33 VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope
Stock # - LEU113866
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 17:17
How are the Bushnell Trophy XLT line? Are they complete junk? Will they hold zero on a muzzle loader? They've got a 1.5-6 without illumination for under $150.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 17:23
Burris Fullfield II 2-7 is another option for under $150.

I have a Burris Euro Diamond that I have had excellent luck with.

Sorry I just keep throwing options in here. I'm researching at a frantic pace. I need to have this thing sighted in by Thursday morning.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 17:35
Sightron SI Hunter 2-7x32?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 17:59
All respectable options, but though I am not a Leupold fan, that would be my choice… WHY, because I've used it and know the dependability and warranty service.  My reticence is that they could sell it for the price of the others.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 18:07
I'm not a huge leupold fan either. I don't think you get much bang for the buck with them. How about the Minox ZV3 3-9 for 199?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 18:10
No experience at all with Minox.  ILya can provide some insight there.  I think SVT has used Minox.  CFII if he ever gets on… Skylar probably… a few others.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 19:05
SPL18105 Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view DBKM07P, Matte V-Plex, 1"
$139.95
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95 

Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Heavy Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66810
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$399.95 
Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849400
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$169.95 
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$419.00 
SPL18041 SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Rifle Scope DEMO-A
Click to view SS6X42, Matte, Mil-Dot, 30mm
$249.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 19:18
Are the scopes in the sample list used trade ins or are they just demo's and overstocks?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 19:31
I have a 1.5-8 Minox on my musket currently but if I had it to do over I would not select the Minox. I have had a Sightron S1 3-9 mil dot on a musket and it did well.  50 cal muskets when zeroed at 100 will drop 10 to 12 inches at 200.   Some states limit you to  a 1x with a musket some dont.   Given my preference I would put a fixed power 4x or 6x scope on the musket I consider them tougher because of less moving parts less to go wrong.  The IOR  6x or the Leupold 6x42 would be my preference. If brush hunting the Aimpoint is the way to go I have had one of these aimponts on a musket pushing deer and it is awesome very fast onto target but they suffer some in low light where a more expensive  Trijicon 1-4x does not.  There is a used Vortex 2-7 on samplelist in your price range and they have a great warranty.  I have had two  Bushnell Trophy scopes on muskets they are OK but not the equal of a Leupold FX3 6x42 but the Leupold is double the price this is one of those things where you get what you pay for. The used 6x42 Super Sniper on Samplelist is probably the bargain but it is a larger scope with exposed target turrets which appeals to me because I will dial in correction and shoot a musket longer distance.  The mil dot reticle is also quite applicable to hunting deer.
RANGEFINDING a 16 inch backbone to brisket deer   body covering
1 mil  = 444 yds
1.5mil = 296 yds
2mil    = 222 yds
2.5mil = 178 yds
3 mil   = 148 yds
3.5mil = 127 yds
4 mil   = 111 yds
4.5mi  = 99 yds

Each mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yds so to hold over for trajectory compensation.
Each mil is 2x 3.6 at 200 or  7.2 inches at 200  so for a quick 200 yd shot with a 10 to 12 inch drop on a musket sighted at 100 yds you could put the first mildot below center just below  the backbone and impact should be 3 to 5 inches lower than that first dot. 
If you are going cheap this is the scope to go with Ive run it on a musket very successfully.
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Hunter Riflescope Sightron 3-9x40 SI Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - SIH39X40MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • 1/4 MOA Knobs
$99.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 19:33
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Are the scopes in the sample list used trade ins or are they just demo's and overstocks?
Both you can call and ask about a particular scope to find out.  I have bought several from Samplelist and only had to send one back the others were great the one I sent back didnt have any problem I just didnt like it.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 19:35
Accuracy with a musket depends on consistency when loading and one should always run a wet patch after each shot so that seating depth is consistent.    Also if you ever get a too dry patch and the rod stuck in the barrel just pour in solvent or water and it will come loose once its wet.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 20:10
Sightron SI Hunter 2-7x32?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 20:13
Nevermind I just noticed the 2-7 is a rimfire scope.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 20:30
How about the weaver fixed classic K 4x38? Are the optics and low light gathering good it?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2013 at 22:42
I ended up going with a Burris FFII 2-7x35 and Weaver lever lok rings.

I like my Burris Euro Diamond so much that I thought I'd give Burris another shot. I really didn't want a ballistic plex but it had all the other specs I wanted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic