OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Have you used IOR 3-18X42 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you used IOR 3-18X42 ?
    Posted: June/01/2006 at 00:48

I wanted to know if any of you have had the chance to use the IOR 3-18X42 with 35mm tube?

I read that each click is 1/10th of a MIL and has good glass. It looks like a very nice scope.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/IOR318X42TILLMP8L/ior_3- 18x42_tactical_35mm_rifle_scope.htm

Edited by Sniper6
What a great hobby!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 03:16

I've not seen it.

But, I have a sneaking suspicion that koshkin will gravitate over here to this thread pretty soon.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 14:25

Due to popular request, I have to voice my opinion.

I have not played with a 3-18x42 yet.  However, I have a 2-12x32 with a 35mm tube and I am extremely impressed. 

The clicks are 1/4 MOA though on both the 3-18x42 and the 2-12x32.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 15:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have not played with a 3-18x42 yet.  However, I have a 2-12x32 with a 35mm tube and I am extremely impressed. 

ILya

Told ya.....

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 16:37
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Told ya.....

I would have stayed out of it if you had not provoked me.

How is your test lab effort coming along, cheaptrick?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 18:06

Looks good.

I'll try it at the range this weekend.

Buddy has a flat top AR that will really like it, I'm sure.

Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2006 at 23:29
 cheaptrick
Yes let me know how the test goes.

See if you can test and listen to the clicks, Let me know what you think of the glass and the reticule, ect .

Koshkin does the larger tube/rings cause a problem for the bolt throw on your gun? 

Edited by Sniper6
What a great hobby!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2006 at 23:52
I had it mounted on a semiauto, so I do not know yet.  I'll probably move it to a bolt gun that I am hoping to finish putting together pretty soon (M48 Mauser action with a Parker Hale 308 barrel).

But it does not look like it will interfere with the bolt throw there.

ILya
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2006 at 22:57
koshkin
What is your opinion of the MP8 reticule over the Mil-Dot?
What a great hobby!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 00:54
I think that MP8 is a better reticle.  I prefer hashmarks to dots, and 1/2mil hashmarks can be quite useful.  For ranging, I think it does not matter much, but if you want to use it for holdover or wind doping in addition to ranging, I think hashmarks are better.  I also like the fact that there is no thick bottom post and that there are more hashmarks there.

However, I am not in the military and I do not use these products for a living, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  I am not an authority on this by any stretch of imagination.

ILya

Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 23:35

Thanks for your opinion Koshkin.

That MP8 sounds better than the TMR .

What a great hobby!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 23:53
I prefer MP-8 to TMR, but they are similar in concept.  Mostly I prefer MP-8 due to the larger number of hashmarks on the bottom part of the verticla scale.

ILya
longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2006 at 15:27
i just bought a 6x24x50 w/ 35mm tube, love it i like the mp8 better. you can split barbwire at 500 yard with it. the very small dot in the center dosen't even cover a dogs head at 722 yards. but it is harder to fined that center in low light.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 00:15

Longbow308

Thanks for your post ! I have been checking out a few different scopes IOR 3-18X42 35mm tube, US Optics 10X 35mm tube, Night force 3.5-15X50NXS .

I will also be interested in the new Variable SS and New XOTIC.

I like the wide power range , reticule and size of the IOR. This looks like it would be a very nice scope with plenty of elevation for those long shots.

As of right now I like the IOR and the USOptics.

I would probably be putting it on a new 300wsm or 338 rum , Maybe a custom .338 WSM.

The only concern that I have run across in my reading of the IOR is when people need repairs or have warranty problems they say it is like pulling teeth to get the warranty honored .

I am Hard on scopes and this could present a problem for me.

What a great hobby!
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 08:33

MP-8 Hashmarks?

At what magnification are the MP-8 hashmarks scaled for use?  The Leupold reticle is scaled for use only at the maximum magnification (say, 3.5-10X: only the the 10X will give you an accurate MOA reading). 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 10:28
SNIPER6,
I HAVE CALLED IOR, AND TALK TO VAL. HIS SELF, AND ASK ABOUT
WARRENTY, HE PROMISES GREAT SERVICE, AND WILL ADDRESS ANY PROBLEM, YOU HAVE WITH SERVICE.TALK TO CHRIS AT SWAF AND SEE
WHAT HE TELLS YA. ABOUT IOR SERVICE.I MYSELF HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY SCOPE YET. AS MUCH MONEY AS IT COST. SERVICE SHOULD BE OVERNIGHT.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2006 at 10:47
RUSTY
I HAVE A 6X24X50 W/35MM TUBE. IT IS A MILING RAT, YA HAVE MILS AND HALF MILS @ 10 POWER. THE HASHMARKS LONG LINE ARE HOLE MILS AND THE SMALLER ONES ARE HALF MILS. I HAVE FOUND OUT FOR LONGER RANGE USE 20 POWER.THIS IS WHAT I USE ON 20 POWER HIGHTY OF TARGET DIVIDED BY 36 X 1000 DIVIDED BY # OF MILS AND MULTIPLY ANSWER BY 2. EX. 18/36X1000/2.5MILS=166.6 X 2 = 333.3 YARDS WHEN USEING 20 POWER, IT HAS WORKED PRETTY GOOD FOR ME TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORK FOR YA,

GOOD SHOOTEN
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic