OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I Survived the Grand Kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Survived the Grand Kids
    Posted: October/26/2013 at 23:20
Survived, Exhausted but alive. Had a great time entertaining the grand kids. They arrived around 4 pm Friday. We built a large fire. Then set up the tent for a camp out. Fed the fish at the pond then spent a little quality trigger time on the air rifles knocking over empty soda cans. Diana finally gets home and the girls head for the house. There were complaints of lack of food. By now the fire had reduced to a good bed coals sutable for roasting hot dogs and the roasting started. While they were working hard to keep the franks out of the coals, a small pit for the surprise desert was dug. I had wrapped in foil 6 good  size sweet potatoes. Lined the pit with coals to preheat the ground then headed to the house for beans, hotdogs and Birthday cake. After eating the pit is preheated. So back out to the fire pit to cook the yams. Re fired the pit, laid out the wrapped sweet potatoes then covered with coals and capped with a layer of dirt. Next how to kill an hour. ?? Hiking! Load the boys with 10# packs and I took my 40# Off we of on a 1 1/2 mile trek. Along the way we had close encounters with a pack of coyotes crossing the pasture, Wild coons and Killer Rabbits (Monty Python) Big Grin The boys may have nightmares in the nights to come. Arrival time perfect for retrieving the yams. Sweet butter and what a bedtime snack. Smile
Having been told that the kids would not go to sleep without their mommy. The evening activity's had been planned with care. Back to the tent. Re-stoke the fire. It is a cool 45F, everyone in the sack and was out by 10:00.
Around 4 am the sleeping bags, even with quilts, began to fail in keeping out the cold. Actually we made it longer than I expected. To the house to finish the night in a warm bed. Today started with waffles, 4 wheeling and kite flying.
 This has to be one of the best Birthday's ever for me. Sorry for the long tale but after many (especially my daughter) telling me how the night would not end well. Yet not a single kid had any injuries, or even whined. I consider it a great success. Thank you OT for your suggestions and support. Excellent
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 01:41
Sounds like a good time Happy Birthday Happy Birthday
Regards Chris
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 08:23
I'm glad you had fun....

I got tired just reading this.  When you said 40# sack, I rolled a cigarette.....and poured another cup of coffee.  I am never going to walk around ON PURPOSE lugging 40 pounds unless the enemy is approaching driving armored tanks....   
Visit the Ed Show
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 11:05
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Survived, Exhausted but alive. Had a great time entertaining the grand kids. They arrived around 4 pm Friday. We built a large fire. Then set up the tent for a camp out. Fed the fish at the pond then spent a little quality trigger time on the air rifles knocking over empty soda cans. Diana finally gets home and the girls head for the house. There were complaints of lack of food. By now the fire had reduced to a good bed coals sutable for roasting hot dogs and the roasting started. While they were working hard to keep the franks out of the coals, a small pit for the surprise desert was dug. I had wrapped in foil 6 good  size sweet potatoes. Lined the pit with coals to preheat the ground then headed to the house for beans, hotdogs and Birthday cake. After eating the pit is preheated. So back out to the fire pit to cook the yams. Re fired the pit, laid out the wrapped sweet potatoes then covered with coals and capped with a layer of dirt. Next how to kill an hour. ?? Hiking! Load the boys with 10# packs and I took my 40# Off we of on a 1 1/2 mile trek. Along the way we had close encounters with a pack of coyotes crossing the pasture, Wild coons and Killer Rabbits (Monty Python) Big Grin The boys may have nightmares in the nights to come. Arrival time perfect for retrieving the yams. Sweet butter and what a bedtime snack. Smile
Having been told that the kids would not go to sleep without their mommy. The evening activity's had been planned with care. Back to the tent. Re-stoke the fire. It is a cool 45F, everyone in the sack and was out by 10:00.
Around 4 am the sleeping bags, even with quilts, began to fail in keeping out the cold. Actually we made it longer than I expected. To the house to finish the night in a warm bed. Today started with waffles, 4 wheeling and kite flying.
 This has to be one of the best Birthday's ever for me. Sorry for the long tale but after many (especially my daughter) telling me how the night would not end well. Yet not a single kid had any injuries, or even whined. I consider it a great success. Thank you OT for your suggestions and support. Excellent

This is pure outstandingness! Grandkids are a blessing and delight... even if they wear your butt out!!! Excellent

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 11:21
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

This is pure outstandingness! Grandkids are a blessing and delight... even if they wear your butt out!!! Excellent

Crutch

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 12:46
That is some awesome memories for you and them for years to come, outstanding...
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 13:13
Dam'n Lile...
I would love to be your grand child..
You are a great grandpa.This Much
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 14:46
Too late Claus,Ed is you grand-Pa so live with it Big Smile

Nice story Lile,I love being around the little ones ,takes me back to when my kids were young.Time sure does fly by.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Too late Claus,Ed is you grand-Pa so live with it Big Smile

Nice story Lile,I love being around the little ones ,takes me back to when my kids were young.Time sure does fly by.

There are 2 great grandsons that were not here, It seems weird to have the oldest great grandson that is just a little over a year younger than the youngest granddaughter.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 04:31
Great story.

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 07:02
Absolutely outstanding Lile!!! Excellent Excellent  Excellent 

Being in my own little world and busier than usual, I never made the connection between your B-day and the grandkids sleepover.  Congratulations on being so proactive with them.  I'm sure everyone will remember the time they camped out at their bestest grandpops.  Excellent  Excellent  Excellent

Extremely well done, sir!!!!  I have to wonder...what were the women thinking?!?!?  They were sure the sleepover was going to be a disaster and yet were perfectly happy to dump them on you and run....on your Birthday!!!  Sounds like a some sort of retalitory action is required.... Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 07:59
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Extremely well done, sir!!!!  I have to wonder...what were the women thinking?!?!?  They were sure the sleepover was going to be a disaster and yet were perfectly happy to dump them on you and run....on your Birthday!!!  Sounds like a some sort of retalitory action is required.... Cool

More of a preemptive first strike that backfired. This is just the beginning. This is because of the Grand Canyon trip with Colby coming up in January.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 08:19

Excellent   A true glutten for punishment...   Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 08:41
Good stuff, Lile! Sounds like a good time was had by all! Some of my best childhood memories are of the "simple stuff," hanging out with my grandfather at his farm, eating sandwiches and ice cold watermelon under the shade tree down by the creek, and riding on the tractor.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 10:35
That was great LileExcellent
I guess it beat my idea of tying them to a tree.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 11:01
He made some life long memories for eveyone there!  How can you ever beat that for a PRESENT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING!!! Excellent
--Thomas Jefferson

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 12:24
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

That was great LileExcellent
I guess it beat my idea of tying them to a tree.

I bought 100' of new braided nylon rope to use if needed as a backup plan. You had a good idea. Big Smile

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 12:28
Great story, Lile. 

Reading your cooking commentary, reminded me of the FABULOUS food you cooked for us at Ted's camp. It was outta this world!   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2013 at 08:50
Always good to have a backup planWink
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2013 at 17:40
Way to go, gramps!
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic