OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

POI Shift SWFA SS 1x6--what's acceptable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallMeChaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POI Shift SWFA SS 1x6--what's acceptable?
    Posted: October/26/2013 at 23:19
This is my first low-power optic, and way over my usual budget for a scope--but I think well worth the cost. First of all, I was pleased to find I can shoot with both eyes open at 1x, even though left eye dominant. I also like the matching mil reticle and turrets. It only took one adjustment to put me dead on at 50 yards.

I did, however, experience an 1-1/4" shift in POI at 50 yards when I shifted from 6x to 1x. All three shots in both groups were touching, but 1x group went 8 o'clock from bullseye group shot at 6x.

It seems like a lot of shift--my far less expensive variables don't shift. I also read that FFP optics won't shift due the internal mechanics (myth?--obviously not LOL)

Is this an acceptable shift for a scope of this caliber, or should I be calling SWFA?

Thanks for your thoughts, lads.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 06:37
Call swfa tomorrow. They will take care of you
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
CallMeChaz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallMeChaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 12:57

I was mostly wondering if that kind of shift was "acceptable"--I'm guessing you think not. Thanks.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 18:23
It's not
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 18:36
It is odd to have POA shift with a FFP scope.   Anything is possible, I suppose, but I have ahard time imagining how this is physically possible.

I suspect that the culprit behind this apparent shift is parallax.  When you change between magnifications, you are likely not keeping your head in the same exact place since the much larger exit pupil allows you a lot more flexibility in terms of eye position.

I do not know at what distance the parallax on the 1-x is set, but I guess it is at 100-150 yards.  At 50 yards, it is quite feasible to have some parallax error. 

Have you tried this test at other distances?

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2013 at 00:25
HMMM   1.25 in shift at 50 yds is not acceptable if you are hunting squirrels but if you are shooting at bad guys an inch and a quarter wont make a difference.  I think I would repeat the test at 100 and 200 and would be much more concerned if there was a similar shift doubled or more.  1 moa or 1 inch at 100 is usually considered acceptable accuracy so 1.25 at 50 should equate to 2.5 at 100 if it really is off and if it is just parallax error then you are likely to be dead on at 100 irregardless of power setting.  In any case if you are not satisfied with the scope please do call SWFA and talk to them about returning it or what suggestions they might have.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2013 at 12:50
My guess is parallax.

No, it is far from acceptable, but that doesn't mean it is the fault of the scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic