OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Steiner Predator 2.5-10x42 - Hydrophobic Coatings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner Predator 2.5-10x42 - Hydrophobic Coatings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner Predator 2.5-10x42 - Hydrophobic Coatings?
    Posted: October/26/2013 at 14:21
I was considering one of these and wondered if the lenses have the hydrophobic coatings? I can't seem to find any information on these. The website for Steiner USA seems to be down as well. I know Burris makes them and they look just like the MTAC. I understand the Military Tactical models have the hydrophobic coatings but does the lower models have them? These seem to sell do $800. I am use to Zeiss and Swaro glass but would like to try this one since it is <1,000 and "may" have hydrophobic lense coatings? Any experience??? Thanks!!!
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 11:10
Anyone have experience with these?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 14:11
I see nothing on the website or in my owners manual for the 4-16x50. I put some water on the objective and ocular lenses and from what I see, no hydrophobic coatings.
I believe these scopes are made in Greely, Colorado where Burris is. But, I believe the glass is Steiner all the way. I own several Burris scopes, FF, Signature and Euro Diamond, and I see no similarity in optical quality.
Doug
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2013 at 14:31
Thanks! I didn't appear to me they had it but I though I would ask. How does the optical quality compare to the Euro Diamond and Signature? I am like you on the Burris line and I have them all as well. However, I would like to know a little more on how the Steiner Compares Optics wise. I was planning on buying another Swarovski or Zeiss but the Steiner has caught my eye with the Rebates etc. So is there clearly a difference in Quality compared to the Burris? Also, how is the eye relief since it is difficult to mount far back?

I am looking at the 2.5-10x42 and the 4-16x42. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 08:07
I think the Steiner Predator is better than the Signature and Euro Diamond glass. I feel it is even better than my limited experience with Conquest. Compared to my Elite and Monarch scopes, the contrast and resolution is quite a bit better. The low light performance compared to these others is better and I can see background cover out to 200 yds at dusk where the others can't.
There are no problems with eye relief.
Doug
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 08:47
Thanks! I was also looking at the Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 but from what you are saying the contrast is resolution is much better than those as well. Is that what you meant with the Elite?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2013 at 09:28
4200 series.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic