OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lee new brass trimmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B W M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee new brass trimmer
    Posted: October/24/2013 at 16:01
Has any one used the new Lee brass trimmer??
X navy love long & short big & little Guns
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 19:24
Do you mean the press mounted die and crank- handled trimmer assy?
No, but I bought my Forster used, over 35 yrs ago and it works fine, today.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
B W M View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B W M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2013 at 13:22
Is the 2 made jest about alike? Do they work alike? THANKS
X navy love long & short big & little Guns
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2013 at 18:32
Originally posted by B W M B W M wrote:

Is the 2 made jest about alike? Do they work alike? THANKS
The Forster is a stand- lone item and the Lee (haven't seen/used one) appears to be press mounted.
Both the Lee and the Forster employ a rotating crank with cutter head, but that's all that's similar. The Lee doesn't get very good reviews. Can't say the same about the Forster... I've had more than one buddy decide to save a buck and go with this or that case trimmer over the years, only to see it break, or fail to meet their expectations.

You can be the first on your block to buy the Lee and tell us how it works.

I can't recommend the Hornady trimmer. A friend recently bought one and tore it up within a month. The internal threads within the cutter shaft strip out due to pressure when pulling the pilot out of the trimmed case. Hornady is apparently working on a solution, just haven't found it, yet.

Ps Go to one of the sites which carry these products and see what everyone says about them.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2013 at 03:09
I used a Lyman trimmer for some years. Too often I had to yank the pilot out of the case mouth/neck, often times leaving the pilot in the neck,,,royal  'PIA'.

Went w/ file trim dies,,,works for me.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2013 at 05:49
I have had a hornady timmer for 6 or seven years. I have literally trimmed tens of thousands of .223 and .308 brass with quite a few others in the mix. I have never had any issues at all with it. I actually cut the hand crank off and rigged it up so i can hook it up to my electic drill. I can trim brass is a big hurry that way.

But the new trimmer i got called the "Worlds finnest trimmer" is the only way to go. I trimmed 2000 .223 brass in a couple of hours last Sunday. Its so much easier and just works better.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SCREAMINXL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2014 at 09:44

Updating an old post.

I have the Lee quick trim deluxe for 223, 9mm and 22-250.  The first thing I did was removed the hand crank and replaced it with a dewalt 12volt lithium drill. It made trimming 22-250 brass a quick and simple process. Once you have it set it has very little variance case to case. As expected you have to clean it every 10-50 cases depending on the amount being removed.

On a side note I also have a Little Crow 223 trimmer and it works awesome but my fingers are shot after 100 cases. I made a shield from a clear plastic bottle and I angle drill downward in the vice with a pan directly below to collect the trimmings.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. - Tecumseh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic