OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cordoba, Argentina Dove Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cordoba, Argentina Dove Hunt
    Posted: October/23/2013 at 23:19
Leaving for Argentina in 11 days and a wake up for wing shooting. This is certainly a bucket list thing for me.

Anyone been? Advice? Can I drink the water?

I've got a shoulder recoil pad, shooting gloves and a type-c plug converter. What else is a "must take?"

Thanks,
REMF
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 05:14
What else is a "must take"??

Me!!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 07:28
A fantasy come true. Have fun.  Howdy
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 07:50
Have fun, REMF!

Dove hunting in Argentina is among the handful of hunting trips I've wanted to do as well!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 13:04
I will see if I can get my brother to provide some advice..
He has done it numerous times and is a member of the 1k a day club :)

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 18:48
Originally posted by REMF REMF wrote:

Leaving for Argentina in 11 days and a wake up for wing shooting. This is certainly a bucket list thing for me.

Anyone been? Advice? Can I drink the water?

I've got a shoulder recoil pad, shooting gloves and a type-c plug converter. What else is a "must take?"

Thanks,
REMF

moi!!     Big Grin
Visit the Ed Show
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 20:02
Of course.  You are ALL invited!  

I've had some pretty crazy south Texas dove hunts, but nothing like 1K shells a day.  That'll be a personal record, but they say to be prepared to shoot 20-25 boxes in the morning and another 20-25 boxes in the afternoon.

I also hear that it's the non-shooting shoulder that gets the worst of it.  Lifting a loaded shotgun over 1,000 times a day is not a motion that folks are terribly used to.

I've also been advised to USE the bird boys for reloading.  I've had a sore thumb on a 5 box hunt plenty of times.  I can't imagine how sore my thumb would be if I did all the loading myself.  Of course, an O/U would solve some of that.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 20:09
Tell them you'll stop shooting after 200 birds!!!   
Visit the Ed Show
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 21:54
Update.  I've been back a little over a week.  Out-freaking-standing.  I recommend it highly.

This was Pope Francis' church as a cardinal in Buenos Aires before becoming Pope.

This was the balcony where Eva Peron and the "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" thing happened.  Madonna ruined it for me.

This is a typical Argentinian lunch they serve you in the field everyday.  LOTS of protein.

Here we are prior to a hunt in front of the lodge.

Just a pile of dove next to my blind on a morning hunt.  They closely resemble a Mourning Dove, but the species down there is the Eared Dove with two distinctive black lines on the cheek/neck.

Pigeons are also fair game.  I shot these two on an afternoon hunt.  Note they're not the "bread crumb at the park" type pigeons.  Meaty.

They prepare dove almost any way imaginable.  Here is Corn Flake crusted dove that they deep fry.

Our guides called this an Inca Dove, but a quick browse online tells me that Argentina is out of the Inca's range.  Whatever species it is, they fly INCREDIBLY low in the tops of the scrub and short trees.  Quick little suckers.  Note the two black stripes on the wings.  Cool little bird.

Parrots are fair game.  Beautiful bird.

Coolest action shot of the trip.  Shell ejection.  Plume of feathers after the hit.

Here is the ammo they use.  No brass.  All plastic.

Here's the typical field lunch.  

Here's the typical siesta after the field lunch.

This is our last afternoon hunt.

Final tally.  Since they charge you by box of shells, the shell count is dead accurate.  The bird count is certainly not as accurate, but it's as close as I'll get.  I certainly noticed my accuracy decline with each successive 1000 rounds!!!

I recommend the outfitter highly.  Glad to talk to anyone offline who's thinking about going.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 22:41
So you guys shot over 7000 birds?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 03:29
Mein good grief, all I can say!!

Seems like you guys fought in the trenches.....and won!!

Must have been a great experience.

The doves and pidgeons look very similiar to our South African variety. In our maize area their numbers take on pest proportions and some big shoots are held. I personally have never gotten into the bird/shotgun thing. I have enjoyed the odd geese shoot.

Thanks for sharing.

REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 05:37
Yes sir. We shot over 7000. Of course, we couldn't eat all of them. They are given to a local Catholic charity who distributes them to the homeless and hungry in town.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 06:08
WOW ! What a great trip.

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 06:51
That is amazing.... new trip added to the old "I'm going to do" list.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 08:01
your report echoes my brother's..

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 08:23

Yes sir. We shot over 7000. Of course, we couldn't eat all of them. They are given to a local Catholic charity who distributes them to the homeless and hungry in town.

If you only had shot some homing pigeons they would no longer be homeless and hungry...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 08:32

Wow, thats insane how many birds must be in that area. Hard to even comprehend. Must have been pure awesomeness.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
REMF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REMF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2013 at 18:50
The birds JUST KEEP COMING.  Wave after wave after wave…

It just never stops.  If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 09:49
Great Pictures and Story !   Thanks for sharing.....Excellent
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic