OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with 1-4x options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gotBOOST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 1-4x options
    Posted: October/22/2013 at 18:48
Hey guys new to the forum but have been on here many times checking it out!

I am in the market for a 1-4x scope, with a budget of right around $400. I believe I've narrowed it down to the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x with the SPR reticle, haven't been able to find many reviews on it though. So I would like to hear some opinions on this scope!

Also what other options are there for that price point? I've looked into the Burris MTAC and I am not really a fan of the reticle.

Thanks in advance.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 21:20
In that price range, you should also take a look at Hi-Lux/Leatherwood CMR4 1-4x24.  If you the reticle works for you, I would take it over Leupold's Mark AR.

For just a touch more money you can also get Vortex PST 1-4x24.

In the $500 and under these are the two 1-4x scopes I find myself recommending more often than not.

I like many of the newer Leupld scopes, but not the MARK AR.  If you want a Leupold, the cheapest Leupold I like is the VX-R.  There is a VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 that comes with the SPR reticle if you like that, but the cost goes up some.

ILya
gotBOOST View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gotBOOST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 06:35
I've checked out the CMR also and haven't liked the reticle.

I am really set on a budget of $400 so the Vortex PST and Leupold VXR Patrol are out of the question. If I did have the extra cash to spend I would be going with the PST.

What other options are out there, any good reviews of the Mark AR?
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 14:11
Swung by the local Cabelas to see if I could handle a Sig P227 and happened to pick up a Mark AR 1.5-4X.  Not a bad scope given the price point.  Not particularly bright, but objective size and being indoors probably had a lot to do with it.

Glass was reasonably clear, but the PST is noticeably better and my SWFA 1-4X even more so..   Didn't notice any image aberrations swinging the rifle and no major issues looking through the glass with both eyes open.  One thing I really liked about it was the weight.

Not the most scientific evaluation of the Mark AR, but overall if you are just looking for something to put on a range gun, this wouldn't be be a bad choice.

This review might help as well.

gotBOOST View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gotBOOST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 17:33
I've checked out that review! Has some good insight on that scope.

I am thinking of possibly raising my budget and looking at the Vortex PST or the VXR Patrol as koshkin mentioned.

What's the difference between the VX-R and the VX-R Partrol?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 21:43
The Vortex warranty is worth trying to figure a way to bump up to that scope. Its a no fault warranty so if you accidentally drop it they fix it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic