OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.243 Win to .260 Rem conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .243 Win to .260 Rem conversion
    Posted: October/22/2013 at 16:48
I have a .243 that I'm working on, small project that has been taking a while.

But I have a friend who has a barrel in .260 that he's selling. I was curious.

Could I change the barrel and maintain the same bolt?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 16:53
Yes they both have the same parent case the .308.  .470 bolt face.

Along with:
225 Winchester
22/250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
243 Winchester
250 Savage
260 Remington
6.5/284 Norma
7/08 Remington
284 Winchester
300 Savage
308 Winchester
338 Federal
35 Remington
358 Winchester
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 18:23
What make is it? all you need is go/no go gauges and a barrel vise  and it all should work.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 19:40
Depending on what rifle it was removed from vs. what rifle it's being installed on, you may need to face the barrel tenon shoulder (that makes up against the front of the receiver) forward and/or the chamber face at the end of the barrel tenon. In the process, you may need to chase the threads. If you move the shoulder forward, you will likely also need to recut (deepen) the chamber with a chamber reamer. Any competent gunsmith can do this. Then, check with headspace gages. If you're lucky, the barrel may thread right onto the action just fine with no modifications needed.

Either way, this can easily be done...but if you're planning to change the barrel anyway, I think I'd just get a good custom barrel in 6.5 and install it rather than fit an existing factory take-off barrel. Then, you can get the exact twist (too many factory barrels tend to have too slow a twist), rifling profile, chamber dimensions, length, and contour you want and it will shoot better.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 20:25
Why change from the .243?  It's a great caliber.  243 gives up very little to 260 in parformance and "availability" of 243 far exceeds 260.  You don't have to burn the barrel out of .243 to get superior performance.  You can get factory loads to 105gr and 115DTACs are supposed to be "the bomb".  I've not shot that bullet, but have shot everything from 75gr to 105 in factory or factory/custom stuff.  My girls all hunted with it and I hunted for a couple of years exclusively with it.  In that two years, one deer went 10 yards… all the rest dropped on the spot.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 20:46
There's nothing I'd fire a .260 at where if armed with a .243, I'd pass up the shot, given the right bullet for the task at hand in both.

But sometimes, if you already have rifles chambered in something, you just want the next rifle chambered in something different just for variety's sake. Or, at least that's how I roll.

Both are great cartridges for medium sized and smaller game.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 22:30
If coming off a custom rifle, it might have had a thicker recoil lug or no lug, depending on the action. The odds of it just spinning on, and head-spacing correctly are slim.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
trublu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trublu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 02:19
The point to the .260 is to shoot high BC 6.5mm 140 gr projectiles I think - making it quite different than a .243.
optics (so far): SightronIII 3.5-10x44, Zeiss conquest 3-9x40, Eotech 552, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36, Zenray ED3 8x43, Vortex Viper HD 6x32.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 08:08
Actually, the 243 is an outstanding long range caliber
George Gardner from GAP rifles is a big proponent of it and winning matches
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 08:41
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

If coming off a custom rifle, it might have had a thicker recoil lug or no lug, depending on the action. The odds of it just spinning on, and head-spacing correctly are slim.

Very true, which is why you may have to face either the barrel tenon shoulder, the chamber face, or both and re-ream the chamber.

To be on the safe side, it's sometimes best to just turn the whole chamber end of the barrel back, re-thread, and re-ream to proper headspace to the particular action from scratch.

...which is also another reason why if I decided to rechamber a rifle to a different caliber, I'd just install a new, custom tube anyway rather than fool with a take-off factory barrel.
Ted

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 09:52
The additional velocity of the lighter wt. 243. bullets will make up for the higher bc of the 6.5. The only difference is cross winds, the 6.5 being somewhat friendlier --- at least on paper. Any actual difference depends on gun setup. (scope/wt. type of rest etc.). given two identical setups any difference wouldn't be apparent up to 600 yards. Because of the complications RifleDude outlines, why not just go to a 6.5/284 and be assured of an increase in performance (even marginal in this case).
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 14:49
Here it is.

"anyone looking to do a .260 Rem build and needs a barrel let me know. I have a brand new, never fired, Bartlein #14 contour barrel. It is 23" long and was chambered w/a tenon thread of 1.060x16, and a muzzle thread of 5/8-24 by the guys at... G.A.P.. The barrel was then spiral fluted by Chad Dixon up at Long Rifles Inc. This barrel is ready for a Rem 700 S/A to become a kickass rifle. I am asking $700 or best offer shipped and insured to your door."

I agree that the .243 is a great round, I'm not argueing that at all and it's available nearly every where. But this one is threaded. I was just thinking would it be worth it, or would it be more trouble?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 15:43
feel free to send it to me for testing :)
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:07
Charles, your close enough, maybe we could get together and have a range day.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:13
Do you like the spirals?  Could you live without?  That seems high for a barrel and I imagine thats a contributing factor
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:14
I could honestly, but a friend of mine owns this one.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:50
Oh, I was under the impression that was a factory take-off barrel. Very nice barrel, though $700 is a tad on the steep side. It's not too out of line, though. However, if you don't like the spiral flutes and if by chance you'd rather go with a lighter contour, you can always turn the blank down, which will remove the flutes.

Or, for about the same money, you can choose from several brands of custom tubes and have the length, contour, twist, and chamber you wish, installed.

If you do want that contour and the spiral flutes grows on you, you might get lucky and the headspace is perfect as is since it was fitted to a 700. Or, given variations in the recoil lug and bolt head position, you may only be off a small amount, where it's no big deal to face a small amount of mat'l off the thread shoulder or chamber face.

Either way, that barrel should shoot lights out!
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:55
What twist, by the way? 4 or 5R style lands? SAAMI chamber, short throat, or...?

Those particulars would have a huge bearing on whether or not I'd buy it if it were me.
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2013 at 23:23
Ted, I'm not sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic