OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Terra or Minox ZA5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Terra or Minox ZA5
    Posted: October/22/2013 at 04:42
Hello folks,

Am looking for a ~2-7x32 scope to go ontop of one of my hunting rifles.

I'd like something fast handling as a fair bit of hunting is for Muntjac / roe and they tend to be in the thick stuff.

Also, my eyesight is not what it used to be so a little more magnification than the fixed 4x I use currently will be appreciated for longer work out of a tree stand and for keeping the local foxes in check.

So, my choices seem to be:

Zeiss Terra 2-7x32

or

Minox 1.5-8xx32

I'd welcome your thoughts on what to go for.

ATB,

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 07:10
Between those two; for the money I'd get the Minox.  The Terra's to me are overpriced for the quality.  Everything I read (laymen reviews of Terra's) says Terra's are not the equal of the Conquests and yet they cost more than the Conquests did.  You might also look at the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 those are great little scopes for the money.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 07:19
Thanks Mag shooter. Will also have a look at the Leupold (Though harder to find over in the old world but might be worth it).

ATB,

Scrummy
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 09:07
Mag, has a valid point in regards to Leupold. Great contender.

But out of the two in question, primarily, I would suggest the Minox. Excellent scope!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 15:44
Thanks Skylar, Only issue is Leupolds are tough to find over here in anything but a few models and are often priced at the $ price in £ so a $300 in the US becomes as £300 scope = $480 in Merry ol' England...

But I will search around!

Thanks folks, keep the input coming!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2013 at 16:49
Welcome to Optics Talk, Scummy. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 02:55
Thanks Cheaptrick, nice to be here!
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 21:16
The best value for you is probably the VX-3, 2.5-8x36 Leupold.  Minox ZA5 is a poor choice in low light, at least my 2-10x40 is!
CDR3
tarboroheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarboroheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 06:26
The Minox ZA5s I have looked through, I hated. The ZA3 is a totally different animal, I love everything about them. Out of the 2 you ask about, I would go Zeiss as I have looked through the Terra. Been scope shopping a lot lately trying to outfit a few rifles.  have bought several different scopes and ended up selling them, 3 of them being ZA5's.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2013 at 14:04
Thanks for the input folks. Now I just have to convince the "Me want - it pretty" side of my brain not to spend next month's food & gas money on a Kahles 2-7x32...

Looks like the Minox it is...

ATB,

Scrummy
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2013 at 14:49
I have handled a few new Terra's and I am not a fan. They feel very cheap and are not in the same league as the Conquest line. I have several Conquest and wouldn't own a Terra even if they were much less than they already are. The Conquest is also on the lower end but night and day better than the Terra. I like my Conquest because they seem to provide good glass at a good price. It's just an opinion and I'm sure some may like the Terra. I'm not familiar with the Minox but would buy it over the Terra. The Minox seems to get good reviews for the money as well. I also have a lot of low-mid end scopes (Nikon Monarch, Sightron Big Sky, Burris, Bushnell Elites etc.) and would rate them all above the Terra. Really don't understand Zeiss' idea here because it's only a tad cheaper in price to the Conquest but far away in quality.

Best if luck on your decision!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2013 at 15:15
Thanks for the input folks. The Terra seems to be getting sledging so perhaps not.

It is a shame SWFA won't ship outside the US. You guys get some really good deals on Optics. I'm not even sure who in Europe would import the 2.5-8x36 VX-3 suggested above. Shame as it looks to be a nice scope.

ATB,

Scrummy
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2013 at 00:21
I own (2) Conquests, an HD5 Conquest and a Diavari V/VM.  Maybe the luck of the draw but the last Conquest that I bought is better resolution than a 5 year old one that I have.  I bought the last Conquest (a 3.5-10x44) as a closeout in preference to the Terra.  Plus I bought a HD5 (a 3-15x42) which appears to be an outstanding scope for the money.
CDR3
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2013 at 13:29
Thanks Oldtrader3. I'm still umming and ahhing but am verging on the Minox...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic