OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AO question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdurha01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AO question
    Posted: October/16/2013 at 19:42
Ok, as stated before I'm looking real hard at a zeiss victory ht scope now, but I have a question about this scope. I understand that it doesn't have a ao compared to the Swarovski I've been looking at, is not having a ao a bad thing or since this scope will be used primarily for hunting with most shots at or under 500yds max. I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to get all the info I can before I fork out the cash. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 09:11
unless you are target shooting (in all its variants) AO can be a pain. In most cases, when using one, the shooter must be using sometype of platform shooting position, if at the very least a bipod in prone as an example. Do a search on the subject as there are many entries at this website
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

krmcne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krmcne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2013 at 16:43
I had a nice 3-9x scope without AO that I sold because I couldn't get it to group at 300yds. At 100 yards, it did great. I checked for parallax at 300 yds and saw that the crosshairs moved on the target about 4 inches just by moving my eye back and forth while the rifle was in a rest. With no way to adjust that (no AO) I sold the scope and replaced it with a 4-12x AO. Now I get no crosshair movement on target, when adjusted correctly, and get groups as good as my rifle will shoot.

It is a little bit of a pain to adjust the AO especially if the AO adjustment is on the front bell. The side adjustment I have found to be much easier and quicker. I've always remembered to adjust while out hunting if I have time before a shot. When a quick shot will probably be needed, I set the AO at the range I expect to shoot at and live with it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2013 at 08:47
that would be like shooting clay targets at 300 yds., not a particularly hard target. with a 9x. and one not really needing even an AO adjustment if the target is somewhat clear on a scope having an AO adjustment. In any case if the eye is centered to the reticle there won't be any problem with or without the AO. AO's help most with variable scopes that have wide ranges in their power ranges with usually higher magnifications on the top end, when shooting at the extremes, either very close or very far.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic