OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

case lengths short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: case lengths short
    Posted: October/16/2013 at 09:39

After what seems like forever of collecting reloading equipment, then when the moment came ALL powder and primers disappear. So for the past 10 months  i couldnt find anything.

Afriend found some components and i finally started reloading the other day. I loaded up some 9mm.  Being first time I was very cautious and slow. I was using my calipers and checking everything. In the hornady  manual it list trimmed case length and a max case length. I had some once fired brass i been collecting, as i went through them and was randoming checking them. I found quite a few that the cases were .003-.08 shorter than the trim length listed in the book.  Is it ok to load them or do i just have useless brass? What is the true minimum case length?
I just went ahead and loaded only the cases that were in the GTG margin.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 09:04
on use, as an observation, pistol cases get shorter and rifle get longer. the small amt. you noticed will not affect their performance. As the 9mm is a tapered case it will gain a little length on resizing.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 09:42
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

I found quite a few that the cases were .003-.08 shorter than the trim length listed in the book.  Is it ok to load them or do i just have useless brass?

On the range you cite, should the second number be .008" (8 thousandths) instead of .08" (80 thousandths)? If some cases truly are .08" too short, that's definitely excessive!

.003" - .008" below min trim length won't matter a hill of beans.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 13:02
Did you resize the cases prior to measuring?
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

I found quite a few that the cases were .003-.08 shorter than the trim length listed in the book.  Is it ok to load them or do i just have useless brass?

On the range you cite, should the second number be .008" (8 thousandths) instead of .08" (80 thousandths)? If some cases truly are .08" too short, that's definitely excessive!

.003" - .008" below min trim length won't matter a hill of beans.
Sorry. not the best place for a typo, i know, but that was supposed ot be .008.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

Did you resize the cases prior to measuring?
yes i acutally had resized them all while back, whil i was waiting for pimers.. Just to have them all ready. (im using a single stage, dont have blue......yet)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic