OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help on Super Sniper 10x42M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on Super Sniper 10x42M
    Posted: May/30/2006 at 22:45
Super Sniper Owners,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the side focus 10 power Super Sniper.

One last thing that is preventing me from doing so is not being able to see the quality of the glass.

Of all the high end scopes I've seen, handled and owned, the bushnell elites are the clearest and brightest. Fine example of >$ can be better on occasion.

If you had to place a comparison to the SS's glass, what scope woul you compare it to.

Ive always liked the Leupolds however i know they are not the brightest.

Comments please!
I see you...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2006 at 04:26

Welcome to The OT.

My SS's glass would be good to upper Jap. quality.

Nikon BM or maybe the Bushnell 3200 glass would be a good comparison.

Don't worry. Get the SS and you won't regret it!

There's more to a scope than GREAT glass. 

The glass is good, but the scope is a great value.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Fatty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2006 at 15:47
Thanks for the welcome.

I think the repeatiblity and good glass makes it for me.

Thanks
I see you...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2006 at 16:29

Originally posted by Fatty Fatty wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

I think the repeatiblity and good glass makes it for me.

Thanks

Good deal.

Let us know how you like it when you get it. OK? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 00:31

I don’t know if this is going to help but this is some pics that I posted on my 1500 yd shoot.

This is a pic of the same target as above placed at 1500 yds on a not so clear day.

This is a SS 10X42 set on the target.

What a great hobby!
Fatty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2006 at 17:15
Wow, beter than I hoped.

Can't believe the cost.

Time to order up!
I see you...
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 02:23
Must have been a little tough on the truck using it to hold up the target!
Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 20:42
Dang and I ordered a 20x

Hope the sight picture is that good on the high mag version

Islamofacists are nothing but Chicken shi'ites
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 21:59
The sight picture is not quite as good on the 20x.  The exit pupil is twice smaller in diameter on 20x, eye relief is more sensitive, etc.  For the vast majority of us, 10x Super Sniper is the way to go.

ILya
Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 10:35
I asked when I called in about which one was better for 800-1000k yard shots. I was told the 20x.

Should I send it back in favor of a 10x?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 13:27
If the weather is typically good where you are you should be fine.  Also if your primary shooting distance is 800 to 1000 yards, you may need higher magnification.  I am a little surprised that they recommended a 20x.  I would expect 10x or 16x to be a better fit. 

Anyhow, there are much more experienced long range shooters here who use Super Snipers and you should really try to elicit their opinion.  One guy who comes to mind is Mike MacDonald who posts in the tactical section frequently.  Try asking him.

I have some experience with different glass and such, but for something as specific as practical long range shooting I am not your best source of information.

ILya
Garrand View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 16:48
ok thanks, wilco
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 17:53
The problem with a 10 or 16 or 20 power scope for sniping applications is the limited field of view and light transmission in the real world. What do you do when there are 5 ragheads running at you from 75 yards in twilight? Were I the guy behind the scope, I'd rather have something like my Steiner 2-8 variable on a custom extended magazine (10 rounds) Browning 7.62 NATO (commercial) semi-auto rifle with the Boss system. These are sub MOA rifles. Stroking a bolt in this day and age is just like having a battleship after Pearl Harbor. If you need to shoot someone at 1000+ yards call for the SEALS with a 50 barrett or better yet some 155s.Any high $ variable is just as solid and reliable as any fixed power scope. Let's remember most of the WW II sniper scopes were what today would be call very low power and yet look at how well the Russians did with their ancient technology!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2006 at 20:40
Garrand, be wary of whatever rootmanslim advices.  He is kinda new here, but he has already managed to demonstrate conclusively that he does not know jack about optics.  If he manages to get it right, you can safely assume it is a coincidence.

ILya
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2006 at 17:05
It's been my experience that the better you can see the target the easier it is to hit it. With my 3.5-10X Leupold I'm usually wishing I had a 15X or better. That's why I'm waiting to see how much the SS variable costs. I  have about a 12" steel plate at about 350 yards and when the alfalfa starts to cover it, it's real difficult to see . More X would help. I realize that's not your purpose, but just pointing out what magnification can do to help. The last I heard most 1000 yard target shooters (not snipers) used 20X or better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic