OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good scope for a cheap gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaFlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good scope for a cheap gun
    Posted: October/08/2013 at 13:30
I am in need of a nice optic for a modified Mosin Nagant. The only intended use of this rifle is long range target shooting (12 inch steel plates) from 100-1000yds. The range goes out to a mile, but I probably wont be attempting that kind of shot with this cartridge. I have taken it out once and shot it to 1000yds with a really cheap 4-16x50 Barska scope. While I was able to hit the targets, the scopes cheapness really became apparent after 400 yards. I was only able to use a max of 14x magnification because the picture became too blurred above that. I also noticed a lot distortion around the edge of the lens.

Im looking to spend no more than $1000 on a new scope (10x the price of the gun!). A friend of mine has a Vortex Viper PST (5-20x50 or something) that I really like and that's what Im considering. Are there any other scopes I should be looking at for that price? I can use either MOA or mrad, but i prefer mrad. I would prefer first focal plane. Must have exposed turrets. I had elevation adjusted up to 31.25 MOA at 1000yds, so I know I need at least that much adjustment range. A zero stop feature would also be a plus.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 13:42
That would be like putting whipped cream on a turd!

Loco
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 13:54
I just shot my mosin this weekend and love the iron sites.  That said.... spend $500 on another gun and $500 on a scope and you'd be well ahead of the game.  Mosin's aint ment to be scoped.
That said if I put on on there it would have to be a small compact one that wouldn't look crazy out of place on it.   Mounting is a whole nother issue. 

If i had to put a scope out right now it would be the SWFA SS 3-9, tough and more than adequate for your intended use.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JaFlo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaFlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 14:44
Maybe I didn't make myself clear...The rifle is already setup for a scope. It has a Rock Solid mount mounted to the receiver (not the barrel like most mosin scope mounts). I have Weaver six hole 30mm rings on top of that. Barrel is free floated in an adjustable stock. Timney trigger. Shoots 1MOA with cheap off the shelf PPU ammo and said cheap Barska scope. I'm hoping for a little more accuracy with hand loads. Not bad for an 86 year old rifle that has been through 2 wars.

I have 2 other Mosins that are untouched and will stay that way. I dont shoot competitions, just for fun. So what exactly is wrong with putting a nice scope on this rifle?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 15:29
nothing "wrong" with it just wouldn't be my first choice.  Simple because with a  $1000 budget you could get a more accurate setup that would shame the mosin in the accuracy department.... that said. 

I'd still say the SS 3-9 is my choice for your purpose.  Turrets are super nice and glass is excellent.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JaFlo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaFlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 17:27
Ive heard good things about the SS scopes. Ive never seen one in person, but I have to believe that they are great scopes based on all the praise they have received. Im not sure if 3-9 would be enough magnification for the range I'm shooting, but then again Ive never had the luxury of shooting long range with a good scope. My eye sight is terrible, so I need as much optical help as I can get. I see the SS is available in a 3-15 magnification, is there any disadvantage of using this over the 3-9? That 12 inch steel plate looks pretty small at 1000yds on anything less than 14x.

As far as the mosin goes, I do have better rifles that are more suited to long range but there is something about this stupid rifle that makes me love shooting it. I don't get it, but I figure as long as I'm having fun with it that's all that really matters.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2013 at 00:23
I have a scoped Mosin or two and it is a legitimate 1000 yard gun.

As far as scopes go, go with this:

Mount it as low as you can.

ILya
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2013 at 09:49
i have seen 1000 M mosin's that were set up for long range shooting.

i wish i had built one back when new match barrels were still reasonable.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2013 at 15:10
Howdy JaFlo and welcome to the OT forum. Sounds like you're having fun with your rifle... since you'd spend up to a grand for a scope, spend less and get a superior scope- the SS recommended, or one of several others.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic