OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Differences between Swarovski SLC and EL Binocular
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Differences between Swarovski SLC and EL Binocular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 15:59
Hi to All!  I am new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi and confirm the difference between the EL and SLC binoculars. I just bought a new pair of 8x42 SLC Swarovski binoculars from Competitor Removed and can state the new SLC binoculars have ED glass and ALL the same coatings as the EL binoculars. The main difference is the field flattener lens in the EL and the shape of the binoculars due to the dual hinges. Wow, the SLC binoculars are bright, sharp and clear. The focus knob is smooth as silk! Are the field flattener lens and dual hinges worth the extra $$$$? I couldn't see the difference in views!
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2014 at 16:18
Originally posted by KBP KBP wrote:

Hi to All!  I am new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi and confirm the difference between the EL and SLC binoculars. I just bought a new pair of 8x42 SLC Swarovski binoculars from Competitor Removed and can state the new SLC binoculars have ED glass and ALL the same coatings as the EL binoculars. The main difference is the field flattener lens in the EL and the shape of the binoculars due to the dual hinges. Wow, the SLC binoculars are bright, sharp and clear. The focus knob is smooth as silk! Are the field flattener lens and dual hinges worth the extra $$$$? I couldn't see the difference in views!

Please remember to follow the rules that you agreed to when signing up for OpticsTalk

Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.

KBP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 08:07
Just want to apologize to everyone for my mistake. I did not intend to violate the rules of use. I now have learned about who sponsors this excellent web site and will direct my business in their direction. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 09:42
No problem.

Welcome to optics talk.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2014 at 22:09
Originally posted by KBP KBP wrote:

After re-reading your post, I have some input.

Yes, both the El & SLC have the same German glass. However the coatings on the EL's are better. This supplies better performance, I.E. truer color fidelity, better resolution, and ect...

The light transmission is similar in both. But the EL's have an additional field flattening lens in each barrel.
Field flattening lens simply defined are, when looking at something that is plumb, I.E. a tree or telephone pole, you are not subconsciously straining your eyes to see it as straight. The binos correct for this automatically.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 10:10
EL series and SLC series both have the same lens coatings, Sky.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Theo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2015 at 16:03
Over the past year, I made several in store and outside (daylight & dark) 10x42 El \ SLC comparison trips. To my eyes, I found the SLC's were somewhat brighter in both dark shaded areas and in the faint forest shadows atter dark. The EL's had richer color (accentuated) and greater sharpness that made scenes appear to have more resolution. However, the EL edge to edge "field flattening" ocular lenses, to my eyes, didn't appear to be that big of an improvement over the really wide SLC sweet spot. For the $800 savings, I set my "sights" on saving up for the SLC's!

I  called and spoke to Swarovski techs on three different occasions. All stated that the glass for both (except the EL FF oculars) were the same. However, the SLC coatings create more Contrast and a brighter image in low light, as designed for hunters (where low light performance is desirable). The EL coatings are for enhanced Color and Clarity, that creates higher resolution and maximum detail, as designed for birders. Basically, these claimed design parameters confirmed what I visually experienced during my testing activities.

Recently, I discovered this OT discussion and agree with the OP's comments. Both designs are fantastic and can be used in any situation, but their optics, by design, are more specific to give top performances as mentioned above. With my funds built up, the SLC 10x42 58310s are now in my possession and should greatly assist me in white tail deer hunting! Big Grin
Jack of Many Trades-Master of Few!
outdoordreamdeals View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoordreamdeals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 11:12
I don't have anything to add. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say "hi" It looks like I have a lot to learn.
http://outdoordreamdeals.com/
everydaywine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Spammer...Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everydaywine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 09:34
@outdoordreamdeals, welcome to the forum.
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2018 at 11:11
I picked up a set of 15x56 SLC last week.  They are phenomenal.
John A Roberts View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2020 at 19:16

Optical Construction

For those interested in the differences in the optical construction of the EL SV and the SLC HD, I’ve posted extensive information on Bird Forum, including cutaway and cross-section images

The thread also includes similar details for the EL (pre-SV) and the EL Range

I’ve also separately posted in some detail about the different versions of the SLC 15x56 - there are also useful comments by others especially Patriot222

The first lot of information is in the thread ‘Pre Swarovision EL vs SLC HD’, which was most recently added to in May 2019

The second is in the thread ‘Swarovski SLC 15x56 Review’, with a most recent post in March 2019

Since as a new member I don’t seem to be able to directly link to them, probably the easiest way to find them is to:

- go to the Bird Forum binocular forum

- then open the Swarovski sub-forum and go back to the May and March 2019 entries

John

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2020 at 17:51
For those interested in the performance of the largest Swarovski models:

On Bird Forum, Patriot222 also provided an interesting field comparison of the SLC HD 15x56 to the EL SV 12x50

see the thread ‘swarovski 15x56 HD vs 12x50 SV fieldpro’ again in the Swarovski sub-forum, with the last post in September 2017

And I recently posted a set of links about the Meopta 15x56 - the review by Pinac includes detailed comparison to the SLC HD and others

see ‘Meopta 15x56 HD - Reviews and Information’ in the Meopta sub-forum, dated September 2019

John

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2020 at 16:36
 p.s. the second post listed above also has a link to information compaing the 12x50 EL SV to the Leica UV HD+

In the post: click on the first link which is to the Meopta 12x50 reviews; then click on the link at the top right hand corner of the screen ‘Thread: Ultravid HD+ 12x50’

John

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2020 at 18:23
John, unless I'm missing it, no hot links to click
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2020 at 19:33
Hi Mike,

When you move your cursor over 'Ultravid HD+ 12x50' it should highlight and then be clickable

John
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2020 at 21:20
I rolled all over the text from your last three posts with my cursor, no bueno. I'm using Firefox
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2020 at 22:08
Hi Mike,

We're having a slight misunderstanding. As I'm a new member to this site, I don't seem to be able to attach live links, until I've made a certain number of posts
I can only give directions as to where to go, and then how to click once you're in the site
So go back to my first post to get the full idea of what to do. All of the threads and posts I've referred to are in the Binocular forum on the Bird Forum website

John
sophiloren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophiloren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2020 at 13:02
The EL’s seem to be targeted towards true colors and fidelity, and the SLC’s are better in low light situations. Most people will look at the price on the EL’s and assume that they are the better glass. Truth is, the glass itself is the same.

From the link learn more about the rangefinder binoculars 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2020 at 04:03

Hi sophiloren,

When you say that the glass is the same in the EL Swarovision and the SLC, where does that information come from?

(the link about rangefinders makes no reference to the glass used by Swarovski)

Firstly, optical glass manufacturers offer a wide variety of choices. The major manufacturers such as Schott, Hoya and Hikari (Nikon), all offer well over 100 options, 

providing various combinations of characteristics such as refractive index, Abbe number and dispersion 

Even in this era of automated design software, the problem for designers is balancing the various optical aberrations to produce a satisfactory result e.g. optical performance vs size, weight and cost

And glass choice is one of the controllable variables

As I’ve noted elsewhere, Swarovski uses a common pattern for the objectives on it’s main current designs: a single lens followed by a doublet and then a single focusing lens

e.g. the EL SV, the SLC and the EL Range

And the EL Range’s eyepiece has the same pattern as the rear portion of the EL SV’s (that is excluding the 2 front field flattener lenses)

see the images in the first reference in my post of the 28th January 

However, this does not mean that the lenses are identical in terms of composition, curvature, thickness or spacing

Like other premium manufacturers, Swarovski strives to produce consistently high quality results, but that does mean that highly similar results come from identical materials

John

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John A Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2020 at 19:52
There is a recent thread on Birdforum ‘Swarovski slc 15x56 or el 12x50’ which will be of interest to some on this forum

It has contributions from various people including myself

And there is also another thread: ‘Swarovski SLC 15x56 Review (1 year update) & BTX comparison’ which will also be of interest

- - - -

For many trying to decide between the SLC’s and the EL’s, the issue of price - and the price/ performance balance - will of course be a major concern

I’ve used the current BH Photo Video listings in US dollars, to give some idea of the difference between the two lines - along with some alternatives for the larger models

Of course the actual prices and ratios may differ elsewhere

A) SLC vs EL SV:

• 15x56 vs 12x50: 2.3k vs 2.9k (+26%)

• 10x56 vs 10x50: (2.2k est) vs 2.8k (+27%)

• 10x42: 1.6k vs 2.7k (+68%)

• 8/ 8.5x42: 1.6k vs 2.7k (+68%)

So:

- while there’s roughly a 2/3’s increase in the price between the SLC and EL x42’s, in contrast 

- there’s ‘only’ around a 1/4 increase between the SLC x56's and EL x50's

And while all the EL’s are expensive, the x50’s are only slightly more so than the x42’s (for completeness the x32 EL’s are both 2.3k)

In contrast, with the SLC’s there is a significant difference between the x42’s and x56’s of around 40%!

- or to put it another way, the x42 SLC's are much cheaper then the other possibilities

B) And for comparison, the larger Zeiss models:

• 15x56 Conquest HD: 1.8k

• 10x56 Conquest HD: 1.6k

• 10x54 Victory HT: 2.7k (at competitor )

C) Along with the larger Leica UV HD+ models:

* 12x50: 2.6k

• 10x50: 2.4k

D) And finally, the larger Meopta B1.1 HD’s:

• 15x56: 1.5k

• 12x50: 1.2k

. . . which stresses the great value of the larger Meopta HD’s!

John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic