OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight scope for 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight scope for 308
    Posted: September/24/2013 at 12:34
I am looking for a lightweight scope for my Winchester mod 70. The one that has my eye is the Z3 3-9x36. Is there anything else at this price point worth a look?

Thank you,
CD
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 13:01
thats the best one for the price and weight, IMO
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 13:08
I have had my eyes on the scope for the same reasons lately. I second SVT, it is a very good choice.
Doug
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 13:32
that'll work

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 13:43

I know that that particular scope is what CFII uses on his primary hunting rig.  The fact that that he has unlimited scopes at his disposal and the ability to have whatever he wants on it and he chooses that one says allot. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 14:09
I put that scope on my wife's Ruger compact several years ago. It's been perfect and she LOVES it! Happy wives are a good thing Wink. BTW, welcome to the OT Forums.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Mortarman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 20:01
Thank you for your input and warm welcome!!! Z3 it is.    
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 11:29
It's a superb little scope! I have one on a light mntn rifle & love it! It may be the best general purpose, ultralight BG hunting scope made.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
B W M View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B W M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 15:41
I like the BSA platinum 6-24x44 fine crosshair dot for target shooting it has a 1/8 MOA click adj. I have then on 7 rifles that I target shoot with 22 mag 223 243 25.06 270 30.06 over 20 years and only one had to be sent for repair. I also have the Mil-Dot on a 30.06 that is a good one. YES they are cheep and they do hold up.
X navy love long & short big & little Guns
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 17:37
B W M --

Don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm for your BSA scope, but there are a few problems with your recommendation here:

1. The OP asked for advice on a lightweight big game hunting scope, and a 6-24X44 of any brand doesn't fit that stated criteria at all. In fact, it's the polar opposite of "lightweight."
2. A fine crosshair target dot reticle is a very poor choice for a hunting reticle, because you will lose visibility of the reticle in low light, the prime hunting hours.
3. The OP was asking for advice for scopes at a similar price point as the Swarovski Z3, indicating he's willing to spend some serious money for a high end scope. A BSA -- any BSA -- will never be confused with "high end."
4.  BSA scopes aren't in the same universe as anything Swarovski quality-wise, and should never be in the same discussion.

This isn't meant to imply that your BSA doesn't fulfill its intended purpose for its asking price, just that its not comparable to a Swarovski Z3, and you almost couldn't have come up with a more dissimilar scope to the one the OP is asking about. I'm not trying to be an optics snob, but other than the fact both are called "riflescopes," there are virtually no similarities between these 2 scopes from which to make a valid comparison, and it isn't fair to the BSA to interject it into the same discussion as Swarovski.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 18:02
What the what...

Motarman get the Z3 don't look back.

The BSA is not comparable except the fact it contains elements that are found on the periodic table of elements in some fashion it is tubular and you can see through it.  

Nothing else I could say will be beneficial and I am turning over a new leaf of positive input and complementing people rather than being a diminisher. 
No one
GPN1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2013 at 20:43
I have one on a Model 70 Featherweight .270 Win and could not be happier.  
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 08:44
BSA = Barely Sufficient Apparatus 
garyalarson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyalarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 09:31
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

The BSA is not comparable except the fact it contains elements that are found on the periodic table of elements in some fashion it is tubular and you can see through it. 
Hilarious.

So what is considered lightweight?  Anything under _______.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 10:00
Just from my standpoint, I'd classify any scope under 13oz as a "lightweight" scope, but naturally that's a relative thing that depends on the weight of the rifle it's mounted on and the power range being compared.
Ted

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 10:36
I have to say this thread has caused me to re-think my scope set up. Right now, I'm running an SS 3-15 on a lightweight .308 rifle (8.3 lbs. total when loaded). The SS 3-15 is far more versatile: far more magnification, target turrets, parallax down to 6m (for indoor dry-firing practice). Yet it weighs twice as much as the Swaro. Thing is, this rifle is meant to be used for shots under 400 yards. In fact, I'm thinking of even having the barrel cut down to 16", which would reduce velocity even more. If I do that, I might as well consider a max. PBR set up inside an 8" dia. On a .308 that would be good out to 300 yards and would make capped turrets an option again.

Well, that idea will wait until next season. I'm leaving everything as is for this year, having always hunted with rifles at least 1.5 lbs. heavier anyway.
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 11:49
the optics quandry never ends does it?
I am about to get a hold of the new Nightforce 2.5-10x42, hopefully in time to get it dialed in for hunting.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2013 at 21:17
Love the lightweights on short action rifles. 

Outrider
Mortarman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2013 at 18:47
Are Talley 1-pc LW are good choice for rings/bases or just go with Talley steel ring and bases?

Thanks,
CD
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2013 at 19:42
The Talley Lightweights will serve you well.

Eagle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic