OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pick my poison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick my poison
    Posted: September/12/2013 at 22:34
So I decided to purchase a Weatherby 338-378 cause I can't pass up a deal and I wanted a bigger bore rifle.  Now I must figure out an optic to place on it.  I have the following scopes available and would like some opinions.  Though the long range capability is there I do not see shooting much further than 500 yards.  Think any of these will work out or maybe something new?
1. Sightron Big Sky II 3.5-10x42
2. Minox ZA5 3-15x42

3. Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40

4. Vortex Viper 2-7x32
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 23:05
The power range of the Minox is right.  I just think the tube is a tad soft on my Minox scope so it this will see any abuse Id pick again. Look at the Zeiss Conquest line you can always trade in something on samplelist  http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2013 at 05:52
I have 3 of the Elite 4200's and like them a lot but the relatively short eye relief may not be ideal for a hard kicker like that.
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2013 at 13:02

What are thoughts about the 2.5-16x42 Bushnell 6500?

Parallaxed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parallaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 02:17
I think the Bushy 6500 would be a great match for that rifle. Decently wide FOV on low power @ 41ft, lots of elevation adjustment, eye relief listed at 3.9 inches, wide mag range, good glass with rain guard and relatively light weight at about 17 oz. would make a very versatile rifle/ scope combo suitable for close up dangerous game and long range shots as well. The SS 3-15x42 would have my attention for that rifle also.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 09:36
What would be the short distances you will shoot at? And what is the use of this rifle? Targets or hunting?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 09:49
Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

I think you are on the right track.  I have a 4-16 Bushnell 4200 on one of my 300 WM rifles and like their glass real well.  Let me throw this out for you to consider as well.  I realize this will be a hunting rifle but a lot of the tactical military / law enforcement scopes are simply built tougher than hunting scopes. Would you consider something like an U.S. Optics  or possible a Premier?
This is a really nice scope they do make a 3.2-17 also but its considerably larger in size. The EREK type elevation knob being low profile doesnt get in the way like a lot of tactical knobs and this is a really tough scope and has illumination which is nice for things that hunt you after dark.
U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR10mil 30mm Rifle Scope U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR10mil 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - USOMR8MIL
  • Parallax Control: T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
  • Tube: 30mm Standard
  • Color: Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
  • Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
  • Includes: USO Flip Open Covers
  • Reticle: Mil-Scale GAP (MIL)
  • Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)
  • Knob - Elevation: EREK 1/10 MIL
  • Knob - Windage: US#1 1/10 MIL
$2,223.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 09:52
Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Light Tactical Riflescope Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Light Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - PRH11018
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Gen II XR
  • Double-Turn 0.1 MRad (12 mrad of Elevation travel)
  • Counter-Clockwise
  • Free Flip Open Lens Caps w/ Purchase
$2,298.00 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 16:27
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

What would be the short distances you will shoot at? And what is the use of this rifle? Targets or hunting?
It would be tough to say what the shortest distance would be, couple years ago there was a herd that ran by us at about 50-75 yards, though that is not normal in the area we hunt, it is possible.  Also the longest shot I can imagine in these areas would be 350 yards, but could stretch further.  I definately know from my coyote hunting that I do not want anything over 4x at the low end and would prefer 3x or less.  This is a hunting rifle and hunting only, too expensive to shoot paper for me.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 16:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

I think you are on the right track.  I have a 4-16 Bushnell 4200 on one of my 300 WM rifles and like their glass real well.  Let me throw this out for you to consider as well.  I realize this will be a hunting rifle but a lot of the tactical military / law enforcement scopes are simply built tougher than hunting scopes. Would you consider something like an U.S. Optics  or possible a Premier?
This is a really nice scope they do make a 3.2-17 also but its considerably larger in size. The EREK type elevation knob being low profile doesnt get in the way like a lot of tactical knobs and this is a really tough scope and has illumination which is nice for things that hunt you after dark.
U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR10mil 30mm Rifle Scope U.S. Optics 1.8-10x37mm MR10mil 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - USOMR8MIL
  • Parallax Control: T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
  • Tube: 30mm Standard
  • Color: Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing
  • Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
  • Includes: USO Flip Open Covers
  • Reticle: Mil-Scale GAP (MIL)
  • Digital Push Button Illumination (Red)
  • Knob - Elevation: EREK 1/10 MIL
  • Knob - Windage: US#1 1/10 MIL
$2,223.95 
I really do not mind spending some money on a scope for this rifle, but I have to say 1000.00 is about my limit.  I would love to go all out on something like this, but it's just not in the cards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic