OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DOCTER 8X42 VS. PENTAX DCF SP 8X43

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOCTER 8X42 VS. PENTAX DCF SP 8X43
    Posted: May/28/2006 at 19:24

Hello, I have narrowed my choices down and two remain. DOCTER 8X42 OR PENTAX DCF SP 8X43.

From information I have found on the internet the two models are both supposed to be very good.  The docter has a wider field of view, but is heavier (a few ounces) , and a 30 year warrany, eyecups are not locking,

The pentax has a narrow field 330ft. compared to the docter but has a lifetime warranty.

Which is the better binocular? I'm hoping someone with experience with at least one of them can help me. Possibly someone from SWFA who has seen through both.

No stores in my area carry any of these or even the same quality level of product. I can not try before I buy.I will be relying on second hand information only.

The binocular with the best view is what I'm trying hard to find.

If you have an opinion let me know.

thanks

michigan

Edited by michigan
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2006 at 08:38
Michigan, I just bought a new pair of Pentax DCF SP 8x43 from SWFA.  I worked with Chris and he was VERY helpful!  Maybe contact him for some assistance on which to get.  I LOVE my pair!  I can't wait to get the into the woods this fall!  Good luck with your choice
Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2006 at 10:40

The Pentax will give a brighter view during daylight hours.  The Docter will be significantly better in low light.  The Docter eyecups don't click stop, but they have to be rotated to collapse them, they are in effect locked.  The Pentax also has a flatter feild with more CA aberration in the centerfield.  The Docter is flat for the center 80%, and then is distorted.  The weight difference is really insignificant. 

You will probably have better factory support with the Pentax.

Edited by Rusty
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2006 at 01:40

Rusty pretty sums it up.  The biggest drawback with Docter right now is there is no longer a U.S. importer.

ranburr

michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2006 at 16:08

I was wondering why someone frome swfa did not have an opinion on these two binoculars then I realized the doctor was not on the website. It was however in last years catalog. So I called them and they no longer sell the docter binoculars.  In the end I decided on the better low light binocular and I ordered the docter 8x42 roof prism. I expect the bins to be delivered monday and I cant wait. I hope they are as good as I have read they are.

Anyways thanks for the help

michigan

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2006 at 13:18

Michigan:

Please keep us posted on how you like the Docters.  I have some interest in these binoculars as well, just not a lot of information out there on them.

Thanks

Ace

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2006 at 19:33

The docter binoculars are a rip off.

JUST KIDDING

The docter 8x42 B/CF are excellent. The build quility is as good as I would ever need from any priced binocular. The image is very clear. I used them last night untill almost total darkness. The weight is not to much by a long shot. With a good neoprene strap I've so far had no neck strain or pain. (I have only had them for 2 days now and I am not by any means an expert in the world of fine optics.) But, I do have trouble with my vision and any fuzzy, hazey, dark, or any other distortion of the image I will not except. And these docter B/CF binoculars are perfect for me. I would highley recomend these and would expect anyone (exception: rich snobs) to be completely satisfied. I do not want to step on any toes but, since swfa does not sell them anyway. I got mine with warranty from an athorized dealer sent c.o.d. for $418.95 from competitor sports inc. They mentioned the stock was low so, if youre looking for a high quality binocular at a modest price I would bet this is one of the best deals to be found anywhere.

michigan

michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2006 at 15:23

I have spent some time with the docter 8x42 bins and I believe I jumped the gun a little. They are very clear and all together pleasing to look through, they do have some short commings Just yesterday I went to the lake to do a little work with my goose hunting dog and I brought the bins with me. What I found was when I was looking at objects with a bright color ,a neon yellow boat lift with a green background the CA was very noticable(and I'm talking about a big yellow hazey area all around the boat lift) I also have been using them in darker conditions and I have found that they may be a small amount better at early dusk, they are not suitable (at least for my eyes) much beyond just that early dusk. As far as viewing the stars or by moon light ,that was a definate disapointment as I could not see much but a very dark image. The build quality is very good except for the plastic non locking dioptiter which seems quite cheap compared to the rest of the bin, the eye cups are non locking and tend to twist down when using them without eye glasses whent the eye cups are twisted all the way up. However I will say that the focus wheel and the eye cups turn with a vey high quality precision feel to them. They did come with a nylon strap and rainguard but, not objective coverers or bag, this was easy to correct with some after market objective covers, bag, and a neoprene strap. To conclude they are clear and provide a quality image, but as far a choosing these for dark time viewing I would go for somthing better or bigger. I am vey happy with the day time optical quality ,especially in a green wooded enviroment. I hope this is a little more complete review.

michingan

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 08:53

Michigan,

All brands of roof prism binos have faults.  The more you look through them enough, you will find the strengths and weaknesses of that paticular bino, and use the strengths and work around the weaknesses. 

I have the 8X42 Docter, and like it a lot.  It is very close to the Swarovski SLC in the view, the SLC has a flatter view (no edge distortion), but they are close.  The SLC is also heavier.  Both the SLC and Docter have a minor amount of CA (Chromatic Aberration, flare around dark objects with a bright background).  Except for the Zeiss Victory Fl, all roof prism binos have CA, even the Leica Ultravids.  The CA issue disappears in low light conditions where most hunters need a clear view.  The Docter is "bright" in low light conditions and for $400 is a steal.  If I could afford it, I would buy a Ziess Victory FL, however, the Docter is a better hunting bino than the Pentax (which is probably a better birding bino).

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 10:13

Actually, it's not just roof prism binoculars that have faults.  All binoculars - regardless of design or specifications involve compromises and have both their strengths and weaknesses.

Because they involve the bending, "splitting," and subsequent "recombining" of light, ALL binoculars (porros, roofs, and all other optics for that matter) -even the Zeiss Victory FLs- have some chromatic abberation.  They also are all softer at the edges than at the center. In addition, none provide an image with 100% true, natural colors and even the very best can be shown to exhibit certain levels of astigmatism, field curvature, and a host of other imperfections. The difference is in the degree that each particular optic exhibits these (and other) optical abberations, not their total absence.  No binocular provides a perfect view. 

What you have to do is find the binocular whose imperfections are small enough that the image is acceptable to you.  Then go and enjoy hunting, birding, or whatever it is you wanted the binocular for in the first place, rather than sitting around trying to identify and obsess over every minor abberation.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2006 at 17:19
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

ALL binoculars (porros, roofs, and all other optics for that matter) -even the Zeiss Victory FLs- have some chromatic abberation. 

Yep. My wife's 8x42 FL has the least chromatic abberation of any roof prism binoculars that i have ever seen. But only in the middle of the field of view. Towards the edges, there is bending and color fringing.

michigan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2006 at 00:45

Thanks for the insight, I am happy with the Docters and they are the best binoculars I have ever personally owned.  I recently took the bins out with my brother (who is 16 and has good eyes) and  went out the last 30 minutes of dusk to test the bins. He was amazed and was able to see all but the last few minutes before dark.  What He said was the image looking through the bins was just like looking close around us without the glasses just farther away. Also, they were no darker or brighter. I am going by his eyes because mine can not see very well at all in dark conditions. I would buy these bins for this price again without thinking twice.

michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic