OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best RangeFinder for $500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best RangeFinder for $500
    Posted: September/11/2013 at 08:54
Very good friend of mine is wanting to pick up a range finder.  He doesn't want to spend more than $500.  What suggestions would ya'll recommend?  I know little to nothing on LRFs
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 12:34
Get this and be happy happy happy!
SPL18315Leica 7x24 LRF 800 Rangefinder DEMO-C
Click to view40510, Black, Compact, Yards
$299.95
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 12:54
I have used this one.  http://swfa.com/Nikon-7x25-Monarch-Gold-Laser1200-Rangefinder-P42407.aspx

While the optical quality is not that great.  It ranged farther than my Leica 1200 CRF.  For closer targets it seemed to range just as well as the Leica. 

If I were to buy a cheaper LRF.  This Nikon and the Bushnell 1600 would be on my short list.  http://swfa.com/Bushnell-7x26-Elite-1600-Laser-Rangefinder-P48396.aspx But the Bushnell is $600.  It ranges awesome as well.  But glass quality is not as good as a Leica, but better than the Nikon IMO. 

I have not personally used this one, but I would look into if I were you.  I have read a few positive reviews of it.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-Ranger-1000-Rangefinder-P51703.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 14:03
Been hearing good stuff on the BUSHNELL ARC 1300 and have one arriving today I hope.

Will be at our lease over the weekend and will be testing.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 14:26
The vortex is what he originally wanted,  I told him I'd see what was the best for the money.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 05:19
+1on the Leica.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 08:10
I have the leupold rx1000 tbr. I found it to be much better optically than the nikon 1200, also the display of yardage inside was sooooooo much better with the OLED display as opposed to whatever nikon uses. If i had the money i would buy the leica tho. I have not played with the Vortex but according to the specs it is very similar to the Leupold rx1000 and i tried to talk my friend into buying one last week when he was purchasing a rangefinder but he ended up with the leupold. My only complaint is that Leupold states the the rx1000 is weather resistant and not water proof, i dont plan on swimming with it but accidents do happen. Just my $0.02 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 10:27
I had the RX1000i TBR, I had trouble ranging deer at 400 + sometimes.
Could have just been me of course not having it steady enough to track.

Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 21:11
Last time hunting i got a 900+ range on a rock face next to a deer, i cannot verify with certainty the maximum range on a deer with said range finder, but if you are willing to wait 4 weeks i will let you know when i get back from my trip Big Grin
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2013 at 10:18
Happy to report the ARC 1300 is working very well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic