OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-15x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-15x42
    Posted: September/06/2013 at 14:21
Look what the nice man in the brown truck dropped off the other day.

Can't wait to get this thing to the range.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 18:57
You'll be Happy
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 20:02
You'll really like this scope. I have one mounted on a new rifle that is also waiting to get to the range. But already, I appreciate the SS for having pretty good glass (beyond its price point). The turrets are good and the parallax adjustment down to 6m means you can dry fire indoors. Maybe it was luck, but when I boresighted the scope at 100 yards, it was just about right on. I'm betting at the range it will hit paper within 6" of center.

Compared to other 3-15s I've had, like the Premiers, the glass isn't as good, but you could afford 3-4 of these for one of those or similar. It's plenty good enough. I also like it better than the SS 5-20, which for some reason would cause me a little visual discomfort after extended use. It's a little heavier than the SS 3-9, which also has a bit nicer turrets. But side-by-side I found the trade-offs minor in exchange for all that extra magnification.
Reaction time is a factor...
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2013 at 07:46
At first glance, the glass on this thing is by far the best I've owned.  Granted that's compared to Bushnell Elite 4200's.  I really like the reticle so far.  The subtensions seem to be very user friendly, but they don't get in the way (if that makes sense). 

I'll be interested to compare the glass on the SS to a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x42 I picked up about a month ago. I have a feeling the SS will be step (or 2) above the Weaver.

My only very small complaint would be the height of the turrets, but I knew what they were before I bought it.  I'm just getting into using any sort of tactical scope, so I'm sure I'll get used to them over time.  When you're used to lower profile 3-9x40 hunting scopes, for me, it's a bit of an adjustment using a larger scope like this one.  Luckily this one is mounted on my Browning X-Bolt which is already a light handling rifle, so the extra weight doesn't bother me bit so far.  This set-up is still a good pound (maybe 2) lighter than my Model 70 25-06.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2013 at 07:48
Nice   Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic