OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red dots at 50 yds and beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LEE IN VA. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red dots at 50 yds and beyond
    Posted: September/04/2013 at 21:02
I just put an Aimpoint SC on my .45 cal. airgun for deer hunting, 100 yds is the longest shot I would try. I figured a dot would be neat, shoot with both eyes open, no paralax. I got the gun on target at 20 yds, then moved out to 50. I couldn't really pick up a 1" circle I had on my target. I immediately put my scope back.on and shot at 4x. Any advice to get used to shooting a dot sight? I really want to make it work.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2013 at 21:23
what size dot?
2 or 4 MOA?

in either case, move to a bigger target.
Try busting clay pidgeons at 100 yards and your confidence will go up.

Note, red dots don't allow for shooting in low light like a decent scope does...

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

LEE IN VA. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LEE IN VA. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2013 at 21:38
I need to check, I think its a 2. Clay targets do sound like a good idea. In low light won't both eyes open give a different picture than looking through a scope?
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2013 at 06:47
After my 6 year old grandson shot my .22lr awhile back, we were at the range with a kid's size muzzleloader and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. At 50 yards first two shots he was hitting low, I moved the elevation up and he hit high on the 3rd shot, moved it half way back down for the 4th shot - we're good to go for the youth hunt this year.

If a 6 year old can use a red dot for the first time ever, anyone should be able to do it.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LEE IN VA. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2013 at 20:47
I think I'm spoiled by even a little magnification. I shoot many different caliber airguns and I like super fine precision but in the deer woods you can give up a little.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 08:28
yep!

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 08:36
Man, I LOVE the AP Micros! 

Great video, Coker. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 08:55
A bit off-topic and all...
I'm intrigued by the concept of big game hunting with airguns, though when compared to the terminal performance, weight, and effective range of even the mildest centerfire rifle rounds, I've never been sold on the benefits of using an airgun for anything beyond small game. I'm always open to learning something new, however. What brand and model of .45 cal airgun are you using, Lee?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 10:12
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm intrigued by the concept of big game hunting with airguns, though when compared to the terminal performance, weight, and effective range of even the mildest centerfire rifle rounds, I've never been sold on the benefits of using an airgun for anything beyond small game. I'm always open to learning something new, however. What brand and model of .45 cal airgun are you using, Lee?

+1 I would like to learn about it as well.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LEE IN VA. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 13:51
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm using a Sam Yang 909, just Google it. Also plenty to learn on forums such as "yellow airgun forum".

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic