OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice scoping a couple of rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice scoping a couple of rifles
    Posted: August/29/2013 at 20:52
Hi there everyone!

I have several rifles I want to scope:

AR10, 16" UltraMatch barrel. I was looking at the SS 5-20x50, or the Vortex PST 4-16

AR15, 14.5" UltraMatch barre. Here I was looking at the SS 1-6, and the PST 2.5-10X32.

Max range for the AR10 would be 1,000, but mostly 600 and below.

For the AR15, 600 and below.

Any advice would help! Thanks!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 21:35
I would recommend either the SS3-9x42 or the 3-15x42 for the AR10. Both will get you to 1,000yds with the edge to the 3-15, but at 600 both are capable. The thing I like about the 3-9 is the fixed paralax, it just makes things simpler if you remember to keep a consistant cheek weld. However, I do like the extra power of the 3-15.

For the AR15, I think the SS1-6 or the Vortex Razor 1-6 would be ideal, depending on if you prefer a first or second focal plane scope.

Of course it really depends on the type of application you are going to use the rifles for inside their intended ranges as to which scope to pick.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Wild_Wild_Wes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 21:47
The SS scopes are on the upper range of what I can spend, so the Razor 1-6 is out.

So, you think the 5-20 is too much glass for the rifle? The Germans go big for their 16" .308:

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 22:45
The 5-20 is great scope, but it is heavy! Especially if going on a short rifle, it might get a bit top-heavy. The 3-15 is also a great scope, but while no slouch, it does not compare to the 5-20. That being said, it is a lighter, shorter scope. Both are better than the 4-16 PST's I have seen.

BeltFed's suggestion's for the AR15, would be mine as well.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2013 at 17:59
+1 SS 3-9/ 3-15 both will get the job done.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2013 at 16:15
Okay, I'm seriously leaning to the SS 1-6X for the AR15 now. I've actually been lusting after it for a while, but it cost a few bucks more than the PST, which also has more magnification.

I still would like the 5-20 for the AR10, as I want an illuminated reticle. If it doesn't work out on the AR10, I can always get the 3-15 later and put the 5-20 on another rifle.

That being said, for the 16" AR10: it will be primarily used out to 600 yards, but if I wanted to try shooting out to 1,000, will I be needing to get a 20 MOA mount for it? The scope fact sheet says "30 Mils total travel". I haven't learned Mils yet, and don't know how that compares to MOA. Or would I be best served by getting a standard mount, and just using hold-overs for the occasional long range session?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2013 at 16:36
Your 16" 308 should take about 12.7 mils to get to 1000 ( this is according to JBM using a 178 gr. AMAX @2550fps, at sea level) Just hair-balling numbers... I would suggest a 20 minute mount.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2013 at 16:59
I'm having more difficulty with this decision than buying my last car.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2013 at 19:51
Cars are easy.

depending on how close your mechanical zero is to your zero with scope and rifle, you MAY not need the 20 MOA mount, but it would give you plenty of room to work with.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2013 at 20:47
And the winner is...the SS 1-6X for the AR15 Big Grin
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by Wild_Wild_Wes Wild_Wild_Wes wrote:

Good choice (not that you needed an attaboy).
I couldn't help noticing that the pic of the German soldier shows that his camo uniform actually matches the colors of the terrain, over there.
What a concept.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 15:37
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by Wild_Wild_Wes Wild_Wild_Wes wrote:

Good choice (not that you needed an attaboy).
I couldn't help noticing that the pic of the German soldier shows that his camo uniform actually matches the colors of the terrain, over there.
What a concept.
The Germans (Waffen SS) actually invented the first general issue camoflage uniforms prior to the start of WWII, and they have been pretty darn good at it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2013 at 20:14
Fun Fact --> The brownish-tan paint on the G28 (scope, upper receiver) is not SOCOM Dark Earth, it is RAL 7028 Dunkelgelb (dark yellow), the same color the Wehrmacht used for tactical vehicles and equipment starting in 1943. The Germans are returning to this color for equipment again; all the new weapons HK is producing for the Bundeswehr are finished in this color. It is very similar to DE. They got it right before we did...again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild_Wild_Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 22:04
One down...

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 22:44
That looks great. Beautiful setup, and great choice. I have an SS 1-4x and just love it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2013 at 23:08
Very nice. Let us know how it shoots for you.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 05:17
Very nice looking rig!Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
.308WIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 06:25
15  mils of travel is enough to get yoou out to 1000 yards with just about any ammo in .308. I put a 20MOA base on my SWFA 6X and I can get 25+ mils of travel which is more than I need.

Shoot more and more often.
.308WIN
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2013 at 23:09
buy a level

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2013 at 18:36
AR-10 is a fairly beefy rifle even if you make it as light as possible.  With an Ultramatch barrel it becomes short, but heavy.

It can handle the weight of the 5-20x50 on top of it, but to me it is a little bigger than I would want.  3-15x42 would make a better options.  I have both of these and while the 5-20x50 is undoubtedly a better scope, I much prefer it on larger rifles (it mostly sits on my DTA).  My precision AR is an 18" mid-weight barreled AR-15 chambered for the Grendel.  With a 3-15x42 on top of it, it weighs in right around 10lbs.  I could make it a pound lighter with a lighter stock, but I like the way it balances now with the A1 stock and adjustable Accuracy Speaks buttplate.

In terms of reach, I took the 3-15x42 out to 1000 yards and it was quite comfortable there.   I did not feel underscoped and the turrets were dead on.

Come to think about it, even with the 5-20x50 I only use the highest magnification when looking at bullet holes or spotting for someone.

Other scopes you might consider are the various permutations of Vortex PST.  They are nice designs with a lot of features for the money.  They also went through a few internal improvements since they got introduced so they are better now then when they just came out.  The jewels of the PST line are the 2.5-10x32 and 6-24x50.  4-16x50 and 4-16x44 are a touch worse and the 2.5-20x44 is the runt of the litter (sort of; it got much better since my original article).

Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 with EMDR reticle is another surprisingly competent scope, but it is almost as heavy as the 5-20x50.  Still, if you want illumination in a FFP scope for less money than SWFA 5-20x50, your options boil down to the Weaver and the PST.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic