OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Blued finishes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blued finishes
    Posted: August/27/2013 at 21:06
For the most part I have stayed away from blued finishes, but I buddy has an older Colt that he wants to get rid of. So how much more care and maintenance is involved with a blued gun. Right now the finish is in very good condition.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 21:58
What older Colt?
Doug
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 22:02
A 9mm 1911 from I believe the early 70s? But I would have to check.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 22:04
Keep it dry. Always wipe it down after handling to remove salts from your skin. You can use light oil or a paste wax. I have a Marlin blued rifle that is 93 years old and it looks almost like new. It has had a lot of shooting time too. Some blues last better than others. Like Browning, they tend to turn a plum color as they age. Some like it others don't. It does prove the authenticity of the finish. Colts have a good resistant color. The bluing is subject to wear more than some. Keep it in a box rather than a holster to reduce the rubbing off of the finish. Don't keep it it in a drawer where it will slide around a lot. I could keep it safe for you.  I like Colts. Thunbs Up
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 22:32
Thanks 3_tens. That is a very nice offer. But I think I will be shooting it too often to send it to you. I always wanted a 5 inch 9mm 1911. And I have never shot a Colt that was not a shooter. Also is a silicon cloth okay to use to wipe it down? Also I am guessing that it will need to be cleaned immediately after firing.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 04:32
Personally, I stay away from silicone simply because if you ever wanted to get the gun re-blued, silicone is a real XXX!! to get rid of in order for the gunsmith to get the parts to take a blue.  

Also, WD 40.  Don't use that on a gun.  
Visit the Ed Show
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 06:47
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Personally, I stay away from silicone simply because if you ever wanted to get the gun re-blued, silicone is a real XXX!! to get rid of in order for the gunsmith to get the parts to take a blue.  

Also, WD 40.  Don't use that on a gun.  

I have never had a problem getting it or anything off when re-bluing any gun.

Just keep the gun oiled as you would any other gun. nothing special about it.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 19:39

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic