OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FFP scope opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mj2936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFP scope opinions
    Posted: August/26/2013 at 21:48
Hey guys, getting into bolt action rifles, and doing some research on everything I will need.  Everyone I've talked to seem to be under the impression that I should buy a scope that will meet my needs in regards to what I will be using the rifle for, and in general to not skimp on the scope.  All good advice.  I wanted some opinions or any first and experience with some scopes I have looked at, read reviews on and narrowed down to.  First off, I will be shooting a .308 bolt action, for mostly bench shooting but also for hunting at some point possibly.  I'm not looking so much to be deadly accurate on paper as hitting plates.  Range is mostly in the 500-600yd range max.  Possibly in the future if I can find a 1000yd range I'd like to give it a crack but I figure most hunting will take place 100yd or less.  With all that said, and looking at about $1000 for price range and a FFP scope,  I've narrowed it down to these:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24 (I am weary of the 6 low power and the weight, but I heard the 4-16 had some problems with glass clarity at higher magnification) but great CS 

SWFA SS 5-15 FFP, good CS

Bushnell HDMR

SWFA SS HD 5-20 FFP

I have no real need for illumination nor zero stop.  I know weaver makes a tactical 5-15 but I'm really turned off by the mismatching turrets

Thanks guys
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 06:49
I think you would be hard pressed to beat the SS 3-15 for the price
Get a good base and rings and you are under your price point.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 07:11
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I think you would be hard pressed to beat the SS 3-15 for the price
Get a good base and rings and you are under your price point.

+1 on Ccoker's advice.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 19:44
All 4 are good choices IMO. The PST 4-16x50, and the SWFA 3-15x42 would be at the top of my list too. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 00:08
Just buy the non illuminated version of the 5-20x50 SS and be done with it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mj2936 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mj2936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 00:23
I think I am leaning that way.  5-20 ss or bushnell 3.5-20.  I really like both.  The weight is an issue but sacrifices.  Anyone have any opinion on whether illum is really necessary on these scopes, with higher end glass.  I understand the reticle being lost in a busy environment at low magnification and all.  
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 14:57
I would lean more towards the SS 3-9. If it is to be used for hunting as well as targets. I prefer more FOV for hunting that a 3x will give and 9x is more than enough to reach 600yds.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 21:59
Quote Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24 (I am weary of the 6 low power and the weight, but I heard the 4-16 had some problems with glass clarity at higher magnification) but great CS 

SWFA SS 5-15 FFP, good CS
Bushnell HDMR
SWFA SS HD 5-20 FFP

The 6-24x PST is very lightweight when compared to others with similar options, since you mentioned it.  The Vortex EBR-1 has a great FFP reticle across the magnification range.

I've run both the SS HD and the 6-24 PST. 
The user interface differs drastically.  The SSHD has very characteristic stiff adjustments and a reticle that is harder to like (for me). It is a tad 'slower to ride' until you get used to it. The PST has light, cheap feeling adjustments and a great, basic line reticle perfectly subtended in weight for the upper magnification range.  Optically, the SS is far superior to the PST.  My personal flagship optics are NF, Razor, and a Leupold Mk4 34mm ERT, the SSHD is optically here compared to the PST.  All pointed the bullet where you wanted them to or where I can't place blame.

The SS 3-9 is a great rifle scope, mine is the older mil-dot purchased on a intro package deal that I never regretted. 

The HDMR bugged me in the G2 reticle, I guess I am reticle anal.  (but I like Bushnell and own a GAP so no prejudice). Either have a 'tree' and commitment points like the H27 or even EBR-2B or just the main stadia mil hashes.  I don't shoot anything that easily stays inside 2mils of windage at 8mils of holdover.  If your brain is triggering off the main stadia, the half hash marks dominating one side are not balanced and EQUAL weight off the horizontal stadia for the two most important lower quadrants III-IV.  Plus no one can resolute 1/10mil hashes at range where a ballistic difference is significant.   

I'm not here to plug SWFA but I would go for the SSHD within those options (added for clarity).

Edited by Boomholzer - August/30/2013 at 08:38
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic