OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good old days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 22:15
That was his Teen Years. Here is even younger.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stateside View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stateside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 22:24
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 05:58
That's a great story Ted. It's amazing that anybody survived those years. LOL.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 06:19
Funny story Ted. I think it was 1955 I had a Schwinn bike that was called a middleweight, the tires weren't as skinny as the English tires and not as fat as the regular American tires and it was I think a two speed with hand brakes.

Cool
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2013 at 12:42
@ Sgt. D,- discovered at the ripe age of maybe, 12 that I could buy green "safety fuse" (looked just like your pic) at the hardware store in the "big town" when Mom went grocery shopping. Some lessons, you just have to go through it to really get it.

@ RifleDude - One of my friends tried the same thing, but our creek was much bigger and he'd already been to Viet Nam and should have known better. I think he'd picked up a bad habit or two over there and may have been 'influenced', but you can kind of understand his point of view- a guy gets used to a certain amount of thrill and adrenalin and no longer giving a damn. He broke an arm. I was still in the Army and didn't personally witness it.

Bikes with banana seats were for short- range kids who couldn't keep up with the rest of us.

Growing up in the 60's and way out in the prairie where we did, my brother and friends and I built our own "mountain bikes" long before we'd heard of them. They were stripped down and knobby tired and coaster braked pure function machines... we cow- trailed and rode everywhere.

I could carry my Model 94C 20 ga. without skinning it up and brought home rabbits clutched tight against the handlebars with my steering hand, not to mention stringers of bass.

Our bicycles were as necessary to our lives as oxygen.
Those were indeed, the good old days.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2013 at 13:56
A neighbor of ours made his own Big Wheels back in the sixties. He would cut off the frame at the neck, reverse it and weld it back on.
Doug
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2013 at 14:46
Big Grin  I got an English bike in 1960.  Skinny tires, hand brakes, 3 speed.  A year later we moved to the farm and I destroyed that bike on dirt roads in one summer.  So, I started using my sister's bike (!) until that got rattle-ly, so I either walked or used one of the old pick up trucks on the farm because I was thirteen and could drive them because my feet reached the pedals.  

I didn't have a license but neither did the truck---it was strictly used in the fields.  Ha!  The battery was dead and we never got a new battery for it ( I don't think it would take a charge...) so we always parked it on a slope.  1950 Chevy with a flatbed and wooden sides.  We rolled it to start it and when I had to get gas in it, I took it to the little country store a few miles away and stuck a rock under the wheel when I jumped out and left it idling, of course!  Then I'd put a couple of dollars worth of gas in it, run over the rock, and go back home.  I could always get another rock. 

The old days.  
Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 15:37
I think I got this for my 5th birthday. Picture says it was developed in Aug of '69, so this must of been December of '68. 
(Check out my 6 shooters!) Bandito

Western Flyer Coaster, I think. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 06:02
Uh oh, kids with guns. You are now on a goobermint watch list Mark. Cool
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 09:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I think I got this for my 5th birthday. Picture says it was developed in Aug of '69, so this must of been December of '68. 
(Check out my 6 shooters!) Bandito

Western Flyer Coaster, I think. 

Hahahaha!
That's GREAT, Mark! Complete with training wheels! I dig your "stag and nickel" SAA and belt rig! Are those corduroy pants?

Man, pics like that are priceless!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 11:04
Reminds me of when I was that young, you where happy to get a toy gun and bike fror Christmass. Now the kids seem to expect you spend $10000 on them for Christmass, and the same for their Birthday.
Regards Chris
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:10
No kidding, last Christmas my sisters kids 5 and 3 were screaming and yelling because they did not get everything they wanted for Christmas.  My sis and bro in law probably spent $3000 on them and it was still not enough.  Disgusts me how kids are these days, think they are entitled to everything.

I am going to try my hardest to not let that mentality over take my little boy. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:31
My thought on seeing the Big Wheel picture was that would hurt your butt really bad. We built ramps like that for our Sting Rays and I only remember getting hurt once when the plywood sheet on a jury-rigged ramp slid sideways as I went off. Mostly had a lot of fun although I like the bikes nowadays more. And, yes, you only got 1-2 presents at Christmas. Ours would be some LEGO from the JC Penney catalog and one outdoor toy. My kids still play with the LEGO, along with all the new, we-already-imagined-it-for-you theme sets.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:36
I got a toy belt fed machinegun for Christmas once. It looked like a Vickers watercooled gun with tripod, and shot plastic bullets from a belt and ejected the plastic casings. One of the best Christmas presents I ever got. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:49
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I got a toy belt fed machinegun for Christmas once. It looked like a Vickers watercooled gun with tripod, and shot plastic bullets from a belt and ejected the plastic casings. One of the best Christmas presents I ever got. 
I used to see ones like this in my dad's old comic books:

Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 13:00
They were in my comics too, but that wasn't the one I got.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 14:12
Speaking of vintage comic book ads, y'all remember these ads for "sea monkeys" (which turned out to be brine shrimp)?

Anybody here ever buy any?

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Now that sounds like a cool gift, I would have loved to get that as child. Mostly I asked for books on World War 2 or firearms.

Sea Monkeys I havent seen that in years, it was all the rage in South Africa as well at a stage.
Regards Chris
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 14:34
I remember both of those and I'm half yawls age..

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I remember both of those and I'm half yawls age..

Heh I'm not that old Bucky
Regards Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic