OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good old days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good old days
    Posted: August/26/2013 at 14:00
Any one remember days like this?

Regards Chris
stateside View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stateside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2013 at 14:44
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 07:08
Yeah, been there done that. Excellent Actually broke a Big Wheel doing that.  Shocked
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 07:09
I remember well. How did we all survive?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 12:57
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I remember well. How did we all survive?

Yea, How did we???????????

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
stateside View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stateside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 12:59
The question is how do we survive this decade?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 13:04
I never had a Big Wheel. My friends and I all had bikes.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 13:15
And our parents seemed to have to keep buying playin cards and cloths pins for some reason??? Cool
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 13:23
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

Any one remember days like this?

When I was 15 and my brother 13, my Dad bought us a pair of Honda 175's (my brother was always alittle bigger than me). We put those bikes thru the ringer and then some. Never had any incidents except after a couple yrs the finder came loose on my brothers and sent him over the bars. A day in the ER and some road rash on the arms and the next day we were right back on em. Now a days I guess the state would step in and charge the folks with abuse!!Loco
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 07:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I never had a Big Wheel. My friends and I all had bikes.

LOL Mark... but we used baseball cards on out spokes instead of playing cards!

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 09:38
I had a Schwinn Sting Ray.

Similar to this. Mine had a front hand brake though. 

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 14:25
Reminds me of a time when I popped a wheelie on mine and watchin the front wheel take off ahead of me!! Shocked Needless, to say that particular ride didn't end well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 14:32
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Reminds me of a time when I popped a wheelie on mine and watchin the front wheel take off ahead of me!! Shocked Needless, to say that particular ride didn't end well.

Yeah, I had some epic crashes. 

The first day with my new Sting Ray, I went flying down a steep road, mashed on the front hand brake and threw myself up and over the handlebars, on the gravel, in front of a bunch of my friends.    Crutch
stateside View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stateside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I had a Schwinn Sting Ray.

Similar to this. Mine had a front hand brake though. 

And with a banana seat -cool-
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 16:18
My brother and I were always setting up ramps and jumping stuff on our bikes when we were kids. We idolized Evel Knievel. I would play Evel Knievel, and my brother would pretend he was "Awful Knoffel."

One fateful summer day, at the tender age of 10, I decided my daredevil days had to come to an end.

The county had removed an old bridge across a local creek near my cousin's house, to be replaced by a new bridge. My cousin and brother decided one of us should attempt to jump the creek, which was maybe 15' wide. They turned to me to be the one to attempt this feat, being the most accomplished daredevil among us. There was no ramp available, but one creek bank was taller than the other.

I initially objected, but after they started flapping their bent arms in wing gestures and making poultry sounds, I reluctantly agreed to the jump. Nobody wanted to be known as a "chicken," especially when the epithet was trumped by a "double dog dare." I was trapped by my pride and peer pressure.

I positioned my bike (complete with banana seat) about 50 yards uphill from the edge of the creek, and turned to face my anxious onlookers. In the few seconds I sat there on the bike, I was hoping some unforeseen natural event -- tornado, flash flood, microburst, or other merciful Act of God -- would intervene on my behalf to prevent me from having to prove I wasn't a "chicken."  No such luck.

In a "we're go for launch" gesture, I reached down, ran my thumb across the chain and gave an oil-stained "thumbs up" (don't remember if I saw that somewhere, or if I made it up, but I thought that looked cool) to my growing throng of fans, which now included a couple other boys in the neighborhood and my cousin's kid sister, who wandered over to witness the spectacle. The crowd erupted in cheers once they realized the jump was on.

I pedaled for all I was worth to hopefully build enough velocity to clear the vast chasm. As I neared the creek, common sense overtook my desire to be a hero, and I applied the brakes...only it was too late, as I was going way too fast and was too close to the creek edge. Inevitability can be a b!tch! Hello, Newton's First Law of Motion! My belated attempt at aborting the jump only managed to cause the bike to slide sideways and ensure that I lacked the momentum and the orientation to clear the creek. I clumsily careened over the edge of the abyss and dove head-first into a large rock. Thus, I was also rudely introduced to Newton's Second Law of Motion.

Lights out!

I lay there motionless, bleeding from my scalp. My "fans" thought I was dead. Legend has it that my brother actually cried on my behalf.
...But I was only unconscious.

Somehow, I managed to regain consciousness, mount my mangled bike and pedal 2 miles back to my house, a trip I didn't and still don't remember. When I regained my (rather suspect) senses, my mother was standing over me, informing me that I WOULD choose a different hero besides Evel Knievel. I had no memory of anything subsequent to the helpless feeling of diving head-first over the handlebars.

Though it ended on a very low note, severely lacking in style points, my budding daredevil career ended that day. I emerged a wiser young man with a healthy respect for physics.

...but at least I wasn't a "Chicken!"

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 16:38

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 16:40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 16:50
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 18:18

Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2013 at 18:25
Excellent

Edwards first bike....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic