OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

16x or 20x SWFA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctimgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16x or 20x SWFA
    Posted: August/25/2013 at 18:35
Not sure which scope to get.  I currently have a Hawke scope and I really like it.  It goes to 12x and I have shot a 4" group with it at 900 yards.  That might not be very good for some people but considering that I just started shooting long distance I think its pretty good.  I was shooting a 308 but after 900 yards the bullet is going subsonic and losing accuracy.  Well I have just switched the barrel to a 6dasher and am working on the load for it now.  It should be good out to 1300 yards.  I am looking at the Hawke Varmint 6x24x44, the SWFA 16x, and the SWFA 20x.  I can get the 16x off of Sample list for about  $30 off but not sure if 16x is gonna be good enough.  Any ideas as to what I should get?  Is the SWFA any better than the Hawke?  If so how?   I know this is the SWFA site but looking for some honest advice.  Thanks
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2013 at 20:01
Try the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical.

The 16x would be the highest Mag I would go in that line...

Maybe even back down to the 12x...

Another scope to look at in that price range is the Mueller 4-14 tactical...

Are you going to use a base for the 1300???

The Hawke Sidewinder got some good reviews from some good people and another well received scope is the Mueller 4-14.

The SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x are very respectable they are the best scope you can buy in the $300 price range as fixed power scopes.

You will have to start looking at scopes that have lots of elevation.

Are you shooting 175+, 200+grs or which bullet what twist barrel and what velocity?  What do you expect your Zero to be and what are you anticipating for drop?

No one
ctimgo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctimgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2013 at 20:15
The bullet I'm using is the 105VLD and the drop at 1300 yards is about 50moa.  It will be leaving the barrel at about 2900fps.  Teh barrel is a Criterion 1-8 twist.  The Hawke Panomara is the scope that I am using now and only cost $200 new.  I have right now has enough adjustment so that I can get to 1300.  It tracks perfect every time and the glass seems very good to me.  I haven't had the higher priced scopes so take that into account.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2013 at 08:00
I have a 12x SS for sale, complete with Butler Creek caps and your choice of SS rings.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic