OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Steiner Military 1-5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Steiner Military 1-5
    Posted: August/23/2013 at 07:59
got one in yesterday..
nice scope, glass is great, illumination can be "aimpoint" bright or down to NV compatible levels.
The dot actually can appear smaller and dimmer than my 1.5-6 S&B Flashdot #9 as tested last night.

Has a capped windage and a .1 mil elevation dial with a zero stop, has a good feel to it, positive, audible clicks.

The reticle has a small illuminated dot with 2, 3, 4, 5 and 600 yard hash marks.

For the life of me I can not find actual data for the reticle subtension values...
The one I have is for the 5.56, they have a 308 reticle as well

Not much feedback on these according to my google searches.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 09:12
Great! Looking forward to your findings. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 09:50
Until I hear otherwise, I am assuming they are using the same ballistic data as the Burris 5.56 and 7.62 reticles..

the 5.56 data is based on 62g at 3025 FPS

I am running the numbers now...

nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2014 at 22:04

How much do they cost? and how heavy are they? also how long is the battery life? Thanks
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 06:43
Will you be compairing with the older 1-4x24?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 10:36
never ran the old one
I LOVE this scope though..

big, wide, flat image at 1x
daytime bright 1 MOA dot
great glass for calling shots out to 500 on steel

digging it

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 11:14
No pictures?
Or price?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 11:34
Steiner 1-5x24 M5Xi Military 30mm Rifle Scope Steiner 1-5x24 M5Xi Military 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - STE5570
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Rapid Dot 7.62 (Red Dot)
  • 30mm
  • Broadband Anti-Reflection Coatings
  • Optimized Exterior Design
  • Optimized Tube and Knob Configuration
  • Precise Windage/Elevation Adjustment
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$2,599.99
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 11:45
100 yards away
need to try and get some better pics

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 13:26
Sorry, should'a looked before I asked.

Is it worth $2600?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 13:30
I have not personally seen that scope, but it is hard for me to envision that it is THAT much better, that much more "VALUE" than the SS1-6.  Maybe so, but right now I'm from Missouri...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 13:39
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have not personally seen that scope, but it is hard for me to envision that it is THAT much better, that much more "VALUE" than the SS1-6.  Maybe so, but right now I'm from Missouri...
I've not heard of 1 similar mag scope that cost more that is
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 13:42
Agreed...

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2014 at 14:35
While I generally agree that the SS 1-6x24 offer a lot for the money, the overall discussion of value is very personal.

Steiner 1-5x24 has a few things going for it and whether it offer a good value depends on the application.

It has very wide FOV, zero stop turrets, SFP reticle and a spectacular reticle illumination system.

In principle, its direct competitors are Swaro Z6 1-6x24 and Kahles K16i.  For half of the price of Kahles or Steiner you can get a Razor Gen2 1-6x24 which is also a SFP scope intended at the same basic market.

The FFP SS 1-6x24, if anything, is configured for somewhat different purposes, which drives the reticle development in a different direction.

Of the SFP offerings, the Steiner is as good as the competition when going fast, but lends itself a little better to precision shooting at knob-twisting distances.

What is more interesting is how all of these stack up to the new breed of 1-8x/1-10x scopes.  

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 05:55
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

While I generally agree that the SS 1-6x24 offer a lot for the money, the overall discussion of value is very personal.

Steiner 1-5x24 has a few things going for it and whether it offer a good value depends on the application.

It has very wide FOV, zero stop turrets, SFP reticle and a spectacular reticle illumination system.

In principle, its direct competitors are Swaro Z6 1-6x24 and Kahles K16i.  For half of the price of Kahles or Steiner you can get a Razor Gen2 1-6x24 which is also a SFP scope intended at the same basic market.

The FFP SS 1-6x24, if anything, is configured for somewhat different purposes, which drives the reticle development in a different direction.

Of the SFP offerings, the Steiner is as good as the competition when going fast, but lends itself a little better to precision shooting at knob-twisting distances.

What is more interesting is how all of these stack up to the new breed of 1-8x/1-10x scopes.  

ILya

Very few elements of rifle scope discussions are not PERSONAL... to go along with that, ANY scope can be pressed into use for ANY application at need... some are just easier than others. 
As for the Steiner 1-5 and SS 1-6, purposes are the same... the approach is different.  Up to the user to decide which approach fits best. 

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 10:45
how about this..
I REALLY like it
and I am very picky..

I have ran it in 3 gun and hunting
very few scopes do both well

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2014 at 10:56
That is high praise...

kiyoshi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2016 at 17:54

Ccoker,

Did you later sell the Steiner M5xi 1-5 and why? Just wondering what did you buy to replace the 1-4,1-5,1-6 job that the Steiner had filled?  I'm looking to purchase something similar and trying to see what the general reviews of the Steiner M5xi vs Kahles K16i 1-6 or Razor Gen ii or Nightforce NXS 1-4. 

thanks, I appreciate your input.

verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2016 at 12:36
throw the ziess victory v8 1.4-15x50 in the mix excellent scopeBig Smile not sure if they are available in the u.s 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic