OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS3-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS3-15
    Posted: August/22/2013 at 17:11
I finally had a chance to put a few rounds on paper under the 3-15.  Conditions were nice, low 90s, a little wind, intermittent sun.  Thoughts are below.

1.  Best view was about 9-10X.  At that magnification, eye box was easy to get perfect, and the sight picture was clear and bright.

2.  The knobs were dead nuts, if there was any variation from perfect, my less-than-perfect shooting masked it.

3.  Power ring turns smoothly and without too much or too little resistance.  And the cat tail works as it should.

4.  Turret clicks are audible and tactile, and well spaced.

5.  Glass is surprisingly clear and sharp, edge-to-edge.

6.  The ARD made for these (actually, mine if from the 3-9HD, maybe they have changed it) is WAY too dark, it turns a sunny day into a twilight view.  I set up with it, then pitched the ARD.  My ARD of choice is USO's, it is a deeper matrix with a far less dense grid.

7.  At 15X, the eye box is a bit cramped, finding a perfect sight picture took some effort.  For better or for worse, it was easy to know when the sight picture was perfect, because when it wasn't it was way, way not perfect.

8.  Parallax worked as it should, easy to get perfect, not too picky.

9.  I like the magnification range better with this reticle than I did with the 5-20X.  Reticles are all about preferences.

10.  For the money, I really like the scope.

At the range was a guy with his new SS10X, we talked breifly about his scope and mine.  He asked what was one steep up from the SS scopes, and I told him Nightforce, it is one step up and +$1,000.

Finally, some pictures.  

I like the scope.  I would prefer illumination and would like to see another reticle, a Horus-type, but am happy with this as is.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - August/23/2013 at 12:30
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 17:22
Nice write up, RC. 

2 questions.

What is the mount?
Are those Ray Ban's?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 18:07
sphur and no
No one
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 18:10
Good write up.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 21:16
Maui Jims, brown lenses are my preference for overcast skies.
Mount is Spurh. I like his stuff.

If JonA made something that mounted lower than the aad, it'd be on the rifle. I had the Spurh so it went on.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 21:20
I was guessing Smiths...Darn glad I didn't put money on it.  I like the lighter flex MJ's or Serengetis.

Glasses while shooting can make a tremendous difference in perceived colors and contrast...
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2013 at 10:05
...and, when shooting a right-handed bolt gun from a left-handed position, can mean the difference between binocular and monocular vision for the rest of one's life.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 10:20
Nice write-up! Since I have got my cheek-rest height figured out, I have noticed the eye-box has got better. I have had mine out past 1000 a couple of times, and adjustments have been as good as the idiot turning the knobs Whacko.

RC, have you tried Jon's rings yet? I have a set and they are great!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 10:36
Not yet.

I have a stack of 30mm rings, but like the unimount options - though they are few on bolt guns.

Jon makes good stuff.  I have one of his first AR mounts, like it allot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2013 at 20:55
La Rue has some quick detachable unimounts  one designed for a 50BMG with 3 levers which seems to be a good choice to me anyway.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2013 at 13:39
I like the Spurh mounts, started getting them before anyone else had the same or similar features. Now many others have started making similar, this is what I had on the shelf.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic