OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Kowa for $

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Kowa for $
    Posted: August/20/2013 at 04:46
I am looking into getting my first spotter.  The uses will be sighting in rifles, hunting out west max 1-2 times a year.  We also deer hunt for whitetail in MS where we own and lease land, and I am not sure we have such a use for a spotting scope in the timbered land we own and lease.  I don't want to break the bank, and I hear that Kowa has nice products.  The choices are a bit overwhelming, between the size and the type.  I would like to get by with that 66mm but at a almost 2x cost will I notice the prominar XD lens.  Or should I a go with the TSN82SV, I just don't want to make a bad decision.  I also have no idea what is better straight or angled.
Thanks 
Cajun Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 04:48
One thing also is that the 82 seems much heavier than the 66.  Not sure how much real world that would be for Elk Hunting.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 05:01
The 82 only comes in the straight configuration, the 66 comes both ways. the choice there is just personal preference. the 66 would pack easier on a hunting trip and will do that job easily. I prefer the angled myself and if you only want to spend the money once get the Prominar and you'll never have to look back.

Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 05:07
What will be the noticable difference in the prominar?  Is it detail or color? Thanks for such a quick response.  Are you thinking it is not worth going up to that TSN82SV it says on the SWFA site Angled body only?  Is that a mistake?
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 05:14
Originally posted by Cajun Hunter Cajun Hunter wrote:

What will be the noticable difference in the prominar?  Is it detail or color? Thanks for such a quick response.  Are you thinking it is not worth going up to that TSN82SV it says on the SWFA site Angled body only?  Is that a mistake?

Sorry about that I meant to say the 82 only comes angled, while the 66 is available both ways.Just started my first cup and not quite awake. There will be a definite difference in the glass on the 66.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 07:08
The TSN822 also comes straight.... This is the one I have for sale. 20-60x82
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 08:33
Ok. I will look into it. Have you been pleased with it? I am a bit concerned about the weight.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 10:21
Great glass in mine.  I just want angled instead. I will only use it for range time and having it angled beside my firearm will be easier than moving it back and forth to look through.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 10:26
Yes. I am struggling because I think I want straight /66 for hunting and angled /82 for range. I also don't want 2 because the amount of usage can't warrant it.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 11:17
Whats your price limit -

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cajun Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 11:33
Original budget 1k.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic