OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

laminated stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laminated stocks
    Posted: August/19/2013 at 19:39
  What happened to laminated wood stocks ? They seem to be disappearing from the marketplace.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 19:51
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 20:00
  It seems like a few years ago all the major manufacturers were offering them on their rifles and shotguns.  The offerings are sparse in today's market.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 20:08
Trend is going to plastic. Its cheaper for the maker. Then you stock it with the type of stock you like. Of course you could save and just get the barreled action. This is just starting to catch on with the savvy consumers.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 20:26
I have found them to be sweaty messes but some say that about synthetic...

every laminate i have had has been slippery...
No one
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 07:39
I have a Model 7MS out of the custom shop at Remington with a laminated stock and when I show it to most people they can't even tell that it's laminated. I think the 21 line to the inch checkering makes a difference also.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 14:14
Yup. Same with my Custom Shop 700 APR that has wrap around checkering on the forend and plenty on the grip area as well.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 14:21
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Yup. Same with my Custom Shop 700 APR that has wrap around checkering on the forend and plenty on the grip area as well.

Nice Roy, my 7MS is a Mannlicher stock .257 Roberts.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 14:32
There was just a review of the Rem model 7 CS Mannlicher in Rifle (or Rifle Shooter) magazine done by Stan T. He liked that rifle a bunch. Seems like it was listed at $2300.00. Looked nice.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 15:04
I think it was even higher than that, something like $2900+ retail asking price. I really like the looks of that MS though their retail prices are very steep these days. Granted, I bought mine 700 APR back in the mid-90's, but even with a 40X barrel option (sporter turned naturally) and a 40X trigger, I seem to recall paying a little shy of $1500. It is extremely accurate, so WTF............
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 15:20
Laminated stock on my Remy 7mm mag too, same checkering as mentioned, no issues handling it while hunting.

Roy, my brother has that same Remington APR custom shop rifle but chambered in .300 RUM, he brought it for around the same price you did about 12 years ago. Great choice!!!

Edited by mike650 - August/20/2013 at 16:46
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 15:51
I got my 7MS the first year it came out. Fortunately one of my buddies was the Remington rep and I got it at his sample price. He just recently picked picked up the Sauer 101 line.

Big Grin

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 17:39
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

I got my 7MS the first year it came out.

How do you like yours? I've always been kinda intrigued with that little rifle, but the price always prevented me from considering buying one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 04:45
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

I got my 7MS the first year it came out.

How do you like yours? I've always been kinda intrigued with that little rifle, but the price always prevented me from considering buying one.

I love it, it's light and real fast handling. I'm not a reloader so I started using Hornady light magnum ammo and it shot great. When Hornady brought out the Superformance a couple years ago it liked that even better. I've killed a bunch of deer with it too. For a rifle with only a 20" barre. it shoots quite well. I can say the same thing for my wife's little Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with its skinny barrel.I also picked up the 7MS in .308 for a buddy of mine and that's a real shooter also. I mean shooter as in a deer rifle that yes came out of the custom shop but neither has had anything more done to them. I saw the 7MS at the Shot Show and fell in love with it and had my friend who was the Remington rep where i live order them at his sample price.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 16:50
Thanks for the feedback, Skip!

I'm afeared if I ever happened to see a 7MS at a "discounted" enough price, I might not be able to resist its charms.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2013 at 20:33

I swopped stockks on my 308 700 Remmy LVSF for a laminate Boone & Crocket Rem stock and added a drop floorplate .. Wood is a bit warmer on those cold days than composite , and I like the look on this one
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2013 at 21:36
Hey Scott, don't recall you posting in awhile, hope all's well, nice rig!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2013 at 21:44
New job and 2 knee surgeries this past year ..really hectic
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2013 at 21:54
Ouch, well welcome back!!! Cheers
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2013 at 07:04
Welcome back, Scott! Lovely rifle! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic