OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best spotter for under 1500 but not under 850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best spotter for under 1500 but not under 850
    Posted: August/17/2013 at 23:20
Just trying to figure out what I should start looking seriously for. Ill use it for mostly distance shooting but in fall im in the mountains hunting all the time. Thanks oh and im looking for a full size 20-60 big objective dont think ill backpack with it
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2013 at 08:18
You should give Swift a look.  I do not have one, but I had the opportunity to look at one... while I was "thinking about it, it sold"...
SWFA has them...

Swift 20-60x82 NightHawk Spotting Scope
Stock # - 851ED351
  • Black
  • Angled Body
  • ED Glass
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2013 at 09:58
Vortex Razor HD85.
-Matt
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2013 at 22:10
havent looked thro it but ive read nothing but outstanding reviews on the zen ray spotter
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2013 at 23:32
In terms of bang for the buck, Zen Ray ED2 is hard to beat. I have been playing with it for a while now and I am very impressed.

ILya
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 11:02
Zen ED 2 20-60X82 is as good as you will find for the price. Nearly Alpha quality.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 14:51
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Vortex Razor HD85.

This one, no brainer.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 16:45
I am a big fan of the Vortex Razor, but a quick price check suggests that it retails for over $1500:

The Zen-Ray ED2 retails for $1200:

Perhaps erroneously, I assumed that the $1500 should cover the price of the whole system and if you have to acquire a proper tripod for it, you better leave yourself some margin.

ILya
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 21:45
How long does it take SWFA to email you back with the 110% low price guarantee? I've been waiting for a few days and am just hoping they dont forget about me :)
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 22:43
CALL! 1-972-726-7348 That's what phones are for. Instant gratification.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 14:40
Haha, I guess I could do that. I'm of the new generation and used to electronic, non-confrontational communication. :)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 21:22
Well SWFA did get back to me a few days ago and I'm very pleased to say SWFA was true to their 110% price guarantee! My ZR ED2 spotter is on its way!!!! 
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2014 at 09:17
I would like to know your thoughts on it once you get it and have a chance to use it.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2014 at 21:55
Yeah for sure, I'll definitely write some of my thoughts down when I look through it. I'll put up some pictures through it as well.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 22:05
Well I said I would post some of my thoughts for you Sparky so here I go. So I am no optics expert at all but I do think that the Zen ED2 is an excellent spotter. I put up a 1951 USAF resolution and it was top notch. I could see the smallest of lines pretty easy and bright. There is a sign about 8 inches high  with lettering under half inch that I ranged at 273 yards. I could read the sign without any problem at all, I mean just clearly see it and read it, no problem. The color is very nice for me it looks as it should. I find zero chromatic aberration in it, which was surprising because i saw it in the Vortex Razor. The Focus is just outstanding i can get ultra sharp images. I like the focus more than those big rings that wrap around the whole scope they seem to vibrate the scope a lot more. The power adjustment is really smooth. I where glasses and its kinda sucky to use it with glasses not enough eye relief but that might be the same with all scopes. Anyways, just to sum it all up. I find the scope to be amazing, Just love it. Compared it to an older nikon and it was no comparison. For the price you can get this scope for its a flat winner.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 00:07
Thanks for sharing.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 17:21

This was at 275 yards with the range finder. 60x and zoomed in with my phone a little bit. using a samsung S4 and a phone skope.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2014 at 17:24

This is the same but not zoomed in at all with the phone. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 18:26
Photo
This is 60x with the phone zoomed 4x so a total of 240x. 

Photo

this is 60x (the dark spot is because the phone scope wasnt straight)

Photo

This is 20x (same dark spot with cricked phone scope)

The mountain is about 20 to 25 miles away.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2014 at 18:28
it was kinda dark today, overcast sun isnt out and it is kinda slightly smoggy.

this is the same image as the first just bigger so you can see the detail. Not bad for under 100.00.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic