OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Possible problem with my Leupold Yosemite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible problem with my Leupold Yosemite
    Posted: August/14/2013 at 12:32
Hello all, first post!

When I look through my brand spankin' new Leupold Yosemite, after focusing per the manual instructions, I see double vision. This is at distances from 20 up to hundreds of yards, no matter what I do (lenses close together, far apart, etc)

At first I feared a collimation issue that happened during shipping etc. 

I had 5 other people look through the binoculars and they all said the view was great and not doubled up.

I used to have bad vision and astigmatism and have since had LASIK surgery and no longer wear corrective lenses.

Is it possible that I am seeing double due to astigmatism issues? Is it possible that the collimation really is off, but the other users (100% of the time) have eyes that are better at merging the view and they just don't realize it?

Is there any way to be sure that it isn't just me? For the record, this is the first time I've looked through ANY pair of binoculars in years and seen anything more than a moving black blob in my vision. I can use these just fine with one eye at a time but that seems dumb.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 17:15
Originally posted by Doc7 Doc7 wrote:

When I look through my brand spankin' new Leupold Yosemite, after focusing per the manual instructions, I see double vision. This is at distances from 20 up to hundreds of yards, no matter what I do (lenses close together, far apart, etc)

If you are seeing ddoouubbllee than return it for another one. Clown

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 21:16
One of three things is going on.  Either the binos are bad, or there is something wrong with your eyes, or you are not using the binos correctly.   If five others say they look fine and you are comfortable with their ability to evaluate them, then you can rule out the binoculars (and getting another pair will not help your situation).  Therefore, there is something wrong with your eyes, or with the way you use binoculars.

Find someone who is greatly familiar with how to use binoculars and have them show you how to set them up correctly.  If that doesn't help, the next step would be to have your eyes evaluated by an ophthalmologist.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2013 at 23:29
The easiest thing for you to do is to visit one of your local Sporting Goods stores & look 
through some other binoculars and see if you still have the same problem with other binos. 

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2013 at 15:55
MY eyes were just diagnosed with Dry Macular Degeneration. Straight lines look crooked. The view is different in one eye than the other. Stars tend to double up. Reticles look bent and crooked. This may be part of why my groups are getting bigger. I thought is was my shaking hands. My hope is that your binoculars are bad, over getting this malady.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Doc7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2013 at 19:39
I was able to try out additional binocs this weekend and found that I see just fine through them. I contacted my retailer and they are going to exchange mine free of charge. I explained to them what I thought the problem may be and they said it is fine to exchange them (rather than eat the fee to get them properly collimated).  Hopefully the next pair comes back great!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 10:32

I explained to them what I thought the problem may be and they said it is fine to exchange them (rather than eat the fee to get them properly collimated).

Not sure what you mean by "eat the fee".

New binoculars, under warranty, would be repaired or replaced, free of charge, by Leupold.

Doc7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 15:14
I got a replacement pair from my vendor.

I still see double vision through them and nobody else reports the same thing. I am trying to decide if my next step is my eye doctor, or a local optics shop to see of they are collimated. I really don't want to keep sending them back and forth - even if Leupold looks at them, if I see double again when they come back I won't know if maybe they got knocked out in shipping.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 16:43

I was able to try out additional binocs this weekend and found that I see just fine through them.

Well, for whatever reason, your problem seems to be limited to this one model in particular. 

If it were me, I would simply choose a model that agrees with my eyes.

Doc7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 16:59
The view through these binocs is so great with regards to brightness and clarity. I already identified 3 species of birds in my yard with markings I never even realized were there before.

Is it possible to collimate these specifically to my eyes even if I have some sort of vision problem? So they would possibly be "out" of collimation for others but work for me? Or is it feasible to use them one eyed as I have been doing for a bit or will that lead to fatigue?
Doc7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 17:00
Part of the issue is that Cabela's is 3 hours away so it's hard for me to go sample their binocular selection : / the other ones I tested were very low quality cheap ones my parents had sitting at their cabin.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 17:10
If you go over to birdforums.net and do a search for MOLCET technique it might give you some ideas about how you hold the binoculars up to your eyes.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2013 at 17:14

Is it possible to collimate these specifically to my eyes even if I have some sort of vision problem? So they would possibly be "out" of collimation for others but work for me?

The other binocular that you tested worked fine for your eyes and your IPD.

There is a remote possibility that the model you like is not within your IPD range.

If that's the case you need to move on to a different binocular model.

You could always call Leupold and talk with a Tech.

Edited by Bird Watcher - August/27/2013 at 17:50
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic