OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what is your go to rifle ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is your go to rifle ?
    Posted: August/11/2013 at 19:32
ive mostly shot one rifle for hunting..my Rem 270 that i got for graduation back in 99.....im wanting to purchase another rifle and have looked at a few and having some trouble deciding.....ive looked at a Tikka T3 and a Browning A Bolt 2 stainless stalker...both in .308....have also considered another Remington but i can get the Browning a touch cheaper due to a local sale ...any Browning or Tikka users out there?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 21:59
I don't have just one go-to rifle. I would never subject myself to such debilitating restrictions!

I have several "favorites;" among them, a few custom rifles and a few factory rifles.  In general, I tend to prefer 6.5mm and 7mm chamberings of various flavors, but I also hunt with a few .25's and .30's.

Keep in mind you're never going to get a consensus on which rifle you should get. Everyone prefers different things and has different priorities and budgets.

Before going further, what features/characteristics do you like in a hunting rifle, and what do you have budgeted for your next rifle? Will your next rifle be used for a different role than your .270? Do you look at a rifle as strictly a tool, do you subscribe to the "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun" point of view, or fall somewhere in-between?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 22:13
sorry i guess i meant more along the lines of what is your favorite brand of rifle...im pretty sure im going to go with a .308    ive looked at a couple in browning and tikka and wasnt sure which might be the better rifle...build-wise,accuracy-wise,etc.....it seems most are preferring the tikka over the browning......ive read that some got lucky and were able to find good deals on new ones around 550-600 so im hoping i can luck up and not spend over 600 or 650...im wanting a stainless barrel

JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 09:32
i usually just build my own.

if i just have to buy one it would be a savage.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 09:52
Sounds like you should really give Tikka a good look. They offer a lot of great features, for the price.

I personally don't care for the way they shoulder/feel, but I am in the minority admittedly. 
Most people love them and I've never seen one, especially in .308, that wasn't a stone cold shooter.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 10:02
I'm not one of those guys who buys a beautiful rifle to have it sit in a safe.   No problem for those that do though.  I've had some beautiful Sako's over the years that I got rid of for that reason.  I am very fond of the functionality of the Tikka 695 and T3, especially the modified T3 I finished working on.   They are tough, super slick, and super accurate, almost boringly so IMO.  I'm not afraid to really use them.  I have both 7mag and 7-08.  I'm also very fond of my Rem 700 based Hill Country Rifle 7mag.  It's a little more expensive but a great performer. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 10:23
If I'm walking into our farthest tree stand and I don't feel like carrying a lot of weight I'll usually grab my Model 7MS .257 Roberts out of the Custom Shop at Remington. I'm an old guy so weight is important and it's a neat little gun.

Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 10:32
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 17:33
cheaptrick thanks for the link.     does anyone prefer the t3 hunter with the walnut stock over the stainless synthetic? i have seen a t3 hunter at a decent price as well but wasnt sure if i wanted the walnut. looks great tho

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 21:15
Originally posted by Robster80 Robster80 wrote:

cheaptrick thanks for the link.     does anyone prefer the t3 hunter with the walnut stock over the stainless synthetic? i have seen a t3 hunter at a decent price as well but wasnt sure if i wanted the walnut. looks great tho

I typically prefer synthetic stocks, but the wood on that rifle is nice. I guess if your drawn towards the wood you could get that and switch to a synthetic stock down the road, if need be

If your a righty, there are a few aftermarket stocks out there for the T3. Stockys has a B&C for a decent price. 

Just my thoughts. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 21:29
Also, if you haven't already, I'd encourage you to go a pick up the Tikka and see how you like it and how it feels.
Odds are, you'll love it. (I didn't, but I'm weird and most folks do.) Bucky 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 21:35
All my good guns ( most of them ) are gone now due to one catastrophe or another.  I have a Mauser 30-06 and a Tikka 6.5 X 55 ......but I'm getting really wicked thoughts about a certain Sako 300 Win Mag that I found last week at a gun store.....Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 05:19
My go to is a modified Rem 5R SS Milspec in 308!My favorite is a T/C .460 S&W mag for short distance.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 09:38
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

All my good guns ( most of them ) are gone now due to one catastrophe or another.  I have a Mauser 30-06 and a Tikka 6.5 X 55 ......but I'm getting really wicked thoughts about a certain Sako 300 Win Mag that I found last week at a gun store.....Bucky

Have you removed your ankle bracelet locator again???  You were supposed to stay OUT of gun stores as part of the rehab...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 09:45
And no more than 100 yards from a school zone, Ed.
Or a Chucky Cheese...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 11:12
Y'all need to stop pickin' on Ed. Don't want to obliterate the bruised ego.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 12:51
Here's my T3 in a BC medalist stock with the oversized bolt knob installed. Feels 100% different than what it felt like straight from the factory. I love it ! I have had and handled much nicer rifles but for a strictly "hunting" rifle, I don't think you can beat one for the price(or even for twice as much). 

For a .308 I would probably lean towards a Rem 5R Mil-spec. My next choice would be a T3 set up just like the one I have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic