OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ready to buy! help me decide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready to buy! help me decide
    Posted: August/10/2013 at 11:43
Ok this is going to be kind of long winded

I am in need of some new binos for this years mule deer hunt.  We typically hunt lots of open high desert.  I am thinking 10x42 but I can understand how 8 power could be beneficial

My problem is deciding which unit to lay down the cash for.  Which offers the most for my money.

Options I am considering

Zenray ed3
Zeiss terra
Vortex talon
vortex viper
minox BL comfort bridge

This is not the end all be all list all of their perks I guess some cost a little more than others.

One thing I do believe in is a good warranty.  which I know Vortex Minox offer I cant get a clear definition of what the Terra warranty is.  And while ZEnRay offers a great warranty will they still be around in 5-10 years?

I am a leupold guy when it comes to scopes however I do own two nikon scopes and I am less than impressed with nikons customer service when it comes to warranty so I am not really considering them for binos.  Leupold doesnt have a domestic bino (I know all of the others listedare basically chinese) but do they have a player in this fight?

Help I want to buy now.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 20:05
There is a guy on here name JGRaider he has probably looked through all the binos you listed and hunts mule dear all the time with them hopefully he sees this post.

The best Bino guy I know on here is Birdwatcher, he has made me focus on a few that I have been very satisfied with.

These are just the two people that come to mind that could help...

No one
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 20:46
Thanks for the vote of confidence 338, but I can't live up to the expectations on this question.  I owned a 10x43 ED2 for a couple of years.  At that time I also had a SLCneu 10x42.  The SLC was better built, but I never had trouble with the Zen Ray either.  I compared them many times side by side and I could not discern a difference between the two optically.  Great glass.  I also owned a Vortex Viper 8x32 HD for a total of 3 days this past Spring on a turkey hunt.  Optics are great, but I had lots of trouble with blackouts/eye relief issues.....not long enough for me so I sent them back.  They seemed well built though and lots of guys like vortex stuff.  If the eye relief works for you, you will probably really like them. 

Here is a link to probably all you would ever want to know (and possibly more than you'd want to know) about the Terra ED from the birdwatchers forum.  These guys really know their stuff IMO.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=258748

You mentioned your a Leupold guy, so if you could ever find a mint pair of Gold Ring HD's (discontinued) you would be thrilled.  Fantastic bino all the way around.

If I may ask, what is your top dollar you're looking to spend?  Hope some of this helps.
Thefieldster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thefieldster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 21:14
I feel like you should read the thread right under this"Mid priced binos" we covered all of these. I was in the same situation as you. I decided to buy the best I could afford and narrowed it down to the leupold bx 4 and the vipers. I looked through a lot of binos on my quest and was never impressed with too many of the lower end ones. I ended up buying the vipers hd's 10x42 because I found a brand new set for 489.00 you can talk pretty much any vortex dealer into selling you the vipers for 550.00. I spent a long time skowering for a used pair of meopta Meostar HD's for a reasonable price but without any luck. People tend to hang onto those. In the end I'm super happy with my binos couldn't imagine better when I look through them. The Mckinley's beat them with colors though. They seemed to pop better in my eyes but the eye prices are pretty large an uncomfortable to me. My 2 cents. I also have been using the vipers for my Muley scouting these past few weeks in the high desert. :)
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 23:30
I would like to be at or under $400.

As for leupold gold rings I still kick myself for not splurging when they were in close out at scheels one time.

Being said just because I have budgeted 400 I don't have to spend it. If there is something for $250 that will serve me I am in
David from NC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David from NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 05:49
I have a pair of 10x42 Gold Rings (HDs) that could be had cheap...!   Hippie

I am wanting some other things right now...

Email or PM if interested...I have had them for sale on another forum but no serious takers, REGARDLESS of what everyone says about wanting a pair...  

David
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 07:49
Birdwatcher was going to post here I thought...
No one
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 09:33
Pm sent david
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 11:54
what about the steiner predators?

Are they actually german?  Nice price point
bonesmalones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonesmalones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 11:59
What about the Swift 8.5x44 ED porro prism Audubons? Great glass for the price which is just a little higher that you want to spend. But worth it!
If you can keep you expectations tiny, you'll go through life without being so whiny.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Birdwatcher was going to post here I thought...

BirdWatcher is a dyed in the wool Porro prism advocate. Love

Only the LARGEST roof prism binoculars fit comfortably in my hands;
the only roof prism that I own is a discontinued Fujinon 12x60 HB binocular.

Edited by Bird Watcher - August/12/2013 at 17:41
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 19:08
Originally posted by nitis nitis wrote:

I am thinking 10x42 but I can understand how 8 power could be beneficial
Options I am considering

Zenray ed3
Zeiss terra
Vortex talon
vortex viper
minox BL comfort bridge
I would like to be at or under $400.

Being said just because I have budgeted 400 I don't have to spend it. If there is something for $250 that will serve me I am in

Although my favorite is 8x, for your high desert use I would say go with a 10x.

Of your choices, I would go with either of the Vortexs.  I was very disappointed in the optical quality of the Terras (not to mention the highly unusual and very loud odor), and as every single Minox I've ever owned or used has been anywhere from a moderate to a huge disappointment (in both optical and build quality), I would say to stay far away from them.

We will now pause for a moment, so the Minox lovers who take the above personally to refute my opinion.

OK....between the two Vortex, it's more or less a wash.  I believe the Talon has more FOV, but the Viper is lighter.  Either way, they are pretty good, with customer service that is the best you will find.  Hopefully you will never find out.  I would go for the one that weighs the least, which IIRC will be the Viper.

You should also look at the Kruger Caldera, which can be had for under $400.  Also, the Bushnell Ultra Legend HD is on sale at another website, and the 10x versions can be had for under $200.  I've also read some good reviews about the Kowa SV 10x42 as well, and they seem to provide a lot of performance for the price.  Another excellent choice would be the Zen-Ray ZRS HD 10x, which will only use a bit over half of your budget.

Lastly, consider spending a bit more and look at the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42.  IMO better optics than the Terra, smaller and lighter in weight (by quite a bit) than the Talon or ED3, and cheaper than the Viper.  The 7 handles quite nicely, and is one of my favorite mid-priced 42mm.

PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 19:18
Originally posted by nitis nitis wrote:

what about the steiner predators?

Are they actually german?  Nice price point

The Steiners I have used were made in Germany, but I did not take notice of the Predator's label when I used one.

The Predators have very good build quality.  However, the view is not very sharp.  And to be honest, every single Steiner I've ever used can be outclassed by others in their general price range.  I wouldn't say to stay away if you really like the Steiner style, but you can do better.  I would much rather have a Sightron SII Blue Sky or a Monarch 5 over a Predator.

If you want a Predator, you might look at Steiner's outlet website for a good deal.

bonesmalones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonesmalones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 19:37
FWIW - I own the Meopta 10x42 HD and the Swift 8.5x44 ED porro prism. I've been doing side by side comparisons and to my eyes, it's a wash. The Swift are really good. or about half the money.

Also, regarding Minox, I own a pair of BL 8x56 BR. I think they're pretty good. Excellent ergonomically. Not quite as good as the Meoptas in low light. I like them a lot. I did not however, pay MSRP. Got them on clearance. Not as bad as Phil would tell you in my opinion.
If you can keep you expectations tiny, you'll go through life without being so whiny.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 20:03
Originally posted by bonesmalones bonesmalones wrote:

Also, regarding Minox, I own a pair of BL 8x56 BR.
I think they're pretty good. Excellent ergonomically.
Not quite as good as the Meoptas in low light. 
I like them a lot. I did not however, pay MSRP. Got them on clearance.

Not as bad as Phil would tell you in my opinion.

Here's a couple of Minox reviews.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Minox8x43HG-66.htm

http://www.eastmans.com/exclusives/minox-bl-10x44.html

I own the Minox BD 10x44 BP Porro binocular and it is excellent all around. Thunbs Up

Edited by Bird Watcher - August/12/2013 at 20:13
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic