OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M&P 10 308 scope recommendations ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimLFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M&P 10 308 scope recommendations ?
    Posted: August/08/2013 at 23:16
hello y'all.
Ok here goes. I bought a M&p 10 and I'm looking for a good scope to get started with. One that can handle the recoil from a ar 10 and hold 0.  I'm not new to shooting, but I am a noob when it comes to scopes and I'm looking into learning and looking into buying a scope that will take me to 500 yards plus without killing my wallet LoL. I've looked at Nikon M-308, and Vortex Viper, CounterSniper 3-16x 44 & 50mm. The power I was looking for is around 3-12 32 or 50 mm objective lens or 4-16x 44 or 50 lens. Would like to have a mil dot reticle with a illuminated option if possible. For around $300.00 to $500.00

And suggestions or advice on some scopes would be appreciated. Thank you.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 05:40
Welcome to The OT. 

I would consider myself remiss if I didn't tell you to forget about the Counter Sniper, my friend.  
That isn't an optic you want to invest in. They are junk. 

What are you intending on shooting at those ranges? Paper, steel, game animals? Is it fair to say that most of your shooting will take place up to 500 yards? 

Do you actually "need" an illuminated reticle? Are you hunting/shooting in low light?

The reason I ask this is because in order to have a serviceable lit reticle, your going to have to infringe on your stated budget in order to have something you may not really need. 
Illuminated reticles, the good ones, are luxury features that drive up the budgets and most shooters really don't need, myself included.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 06:19
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 09:45
I agree with cheaptrick, the SS3-9 is a great option, especially in that price range.  

I think it is time to do a thorough and unbiased review on a Countersniper and "sticky" it on the page.  As CT said, they are not what they claim to be, and aren't good optics either.

And don't forget the mount for the scope, there are several good options, but they cost.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 09:50
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And don't forget the mount for the scope, there are several good options, but they cost.

GrimLFD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimLFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT. 

I would consider myself remiss if I didn't tell you to forget about the Counter Sniper, my friend.  
That isn't an optic you want to invest in. They are junk. 

What are you intending on shooting at those ranges? Paper, steel, game animals? Is it fair to say that most of your shooting will take place up to 500 yards? 

Do you actually "need" an illuminated reticle? Are you hunting/shooting in low light?

The reason I ask this is because in order to have a serviceable lit reticle, your going to have to infringe on your stated budget in order to have something you may not really need. 
Illuminated reticles, the good ones, are luxury features that drive up the budgets and most shooters really don't need, myself included.  

Ok, so I plan to hunt bear and other large game with this platform and also target shoot, either paper and steel. I'm looking into improving improving my skills. An  Have a lot to learn about long distance distanc shooting. Illuminated Ret is not needed. Just a option. 
I'm hearing mix reviews about counter sniper scopes. Some good some bad, so I'm not dead set on  those.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 10:46
Could you point me toward the good reviews?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
GrimLFD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimLFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 10:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Could you point me toward the good reviews?

Here are some I saw, but there isn't many of them.

http://www.competitor.com/reviews/reviews-dark-ops-riflescopes-countersniper-optics-4x16-tactical-scope.html
GrimLFD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimLFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 10:54
I was looking at the buris tac quick release mount for 99.00 but I have to figure out what scope I want and the tube size, 33mm or 1" first LoL.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:18
counter snipers suck goat balls, but my all means, buy one.

the ss 3-9 or the PST 2.5-10.

for a budget mount, look at the ADM scout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:24
I think my, along with RC's original suggestion of the SS 3-9x would serve you well. For hunting, I like the 3x on the low end. 
You'd be hard pressed to beat the SS scope price wise, for all the features it offers. You can see game animals in most all legal low light hunting scenarios. The Mil Dot or Mil Quad reticles aren't ideal for big game, but will work.  

A $500 budget is kinda right there on the ragged edge to obtain a scope that will suffice for hunting and tactical shooting, so you may have to compromise a tad.  
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:42
I was able to look through a Counter Sniper and I want to say it was a 4-48x56. At 100yds no matter what I did the image was blurry. The knobs were cheap and had a poor feel to them. The only good thing I can say about it was that if you are into the mall ninja wannabe sniper crowd it looks cool from a distance. Well if you did not know any better it looked cool.

I say if you really want it buy it. But know that after awhile when you start to understand scopes you will realize what a bad decision it was to purchase one. I can not think of one person who is knowledgeable about scopes that would want one. And for what they cost you can do so much better with another brand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:57
Save a hundo and get the one on the Sample List. 

Oops...I already linked that one. 

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 12:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Save a hundo and get the one on the Sample List. 

Oops...I already linked that one. 

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag so to speak. I was thinking about that one myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 13:47
There's 3 available. 
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 18:30
I have a VXR and love it

Eagle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 19:06
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

I have a VXR and love it

Eagle

I thought of mentioning the VX-R too.  
GrimLFD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrimLFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 11:21
I went with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. mounting it tonight and bore sighting and heading to the range.
give this a shot and see how i do. I will be looking SFWA SS 3-9 SCOPE for my Mini 14. I believe that would be a good match for that.
Thanks for the help guys..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 11:33
Come back and let us know how it's working for you. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2013 at 18:13
A 1-4 would probably be a better match for the Ruger they dont seem to be as accurate as an AR platform rifle so I wouldnt plan on the Ruger being more than about a 200 yd gun for coyotes etc.   The up side of the Ruger is that they will take tremendous abuse and continue to work.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic