OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper HST 4-16 or???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper HST 4-16 or???
    Posted: August/08/2013 at 18:58
About to pull the trigger on a scope. Considering the VIPER HST 4-16x50. paper punching mostly out to 600, on occasion 1000. Would probably get a little use for hunting also. Have read that it's a good scope, but is there any others that I should consider in that $700.00 price range?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 19:59
There is the http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx Which has a front focal plane reticle and pretty darn good glass for the money. It will get you to 1,000, and the FFP reticle sure comes in handy.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 20:01
+1 on the SS 3-15x42!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 20:04
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44561.aspx
Is also an option for $100 more. You get a front focal plane (FFP) with MIL/MIL reticle and turrets, or it can be had in MOA/MOA
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2013 at 21:40
I ordered in one of the Vipers when they first came out and it is a nice scope but I chose instead to return it and purchase a second 5-20x50 Super Sniper.   To me the Viper seems to feel a bit light weight but the warranty is quite good.  I dont have one of the 3-15 SS scopes yet but I am sure it is a capable scope and I would prefer it to the Viper. If you can chip in more money and get to the 5-20x50 it really is the way to go.  Once you get past a few hundred yards the little things make a lot more difference.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:15
both ss scopes have super fat reticles at 1k and beyond. i'd get the PST 6-24, just a bit more $ than the ss 3-15, but with better glass, and a better reticle. the SS diamond reticle is useless, just too much going on.

and the vortex warranty is the best.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

the SS diamond reticle is useless, just too much going on

Really??? Sounds to me like it is lack of experience by the user. Every mark on that reticle has a purpose. Its extremely uncluttered for all that it offers
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 12:10
I have a 4-16X50 PST SFP.

It is a fully featured workhorse that I have been very happy with.

I saw the HST just a couple weeks ago, and prefer the PST's reticle and excellent illumination.

The SFP is not particularly handicapping to me. YMMV.

I haven't tried the new 3-15 SS, but I have had great luck with the fixed series.
-Matt
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 12:51
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

the SS diamond reticle is useless, just too much going on

Really??? Sounds to me like it is lack of experience by the user. Every mark on that reticle has a purpose. Its extremely uncluttered for all that it offers

I was thinking the same thing. For me the Mil Quad reticle would be one of the reasons for  getting a SS scope. And if you want to see busy take a look at a Horus reticle.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 12:53
Also I have absolutely no reservations that SWFA would take care of me if I ever had a problem with my SS scope.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 13:41
U.S. Optics  GAP reticle

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/09/2013 at 14:09

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 13:52
SS 5-20x50  Looks useful to me.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/09/2013 at 14:08

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 14:13

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/09/2013 at 14:18

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 14:22
So if the SS crosshair is .05 mil thick and the GAP is .1 mil thick that is half the thickness. At 1000 yds one mil would cover 1 yd. Therefore At 1000yds the .1 mil GAP reticle would cover 3.6 inches and the SS reticle would cover half of that or 1.8 inches. Since Vortex is .04 mil crosshairs it will be .01 thinner or .36 inches and I doubt you can tell a diffence in a 1/3 of an inch at 1000 yds.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2013 at 16:26
i'm not saying that the SS reticle doesn't have a purpose. but how many sub-tensions can you memorize, and their locations. the horus reticle is crazy, and causes headaches. i've tried to use the SS reticle for 2 years now, and i continually find myself looking for the sub-tension key. i guess the force is greater with everyone else but me.

my 5-20 stays set on 16X for the most part, mainly because of the reticle thickness, and the fact that you need channel locks to turn the mag ring.

don't get me wrong, the glass is awesome for the $ spent, but overall the razor is better in my eyes. but it's more $$.

i know that there are some SWFA lovers here, and for good reason. but the diamond reticle i don't like, and a lot of people have complained about it.

i guess i just don't care for the diamonds, saying its useless was stupid.

Edited by jjrgr21 - August/09/2013 at 16:33
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 00:09
Reticle choice is very personal.

As I test scopes, I run into just about every reticke imaginable, so I have learned to switch between them quickly.

I like the mil-quad since I have it in a few scopes. To me it seems pretty easy to memorize the subtensions. As far as reticle thickness goes, that is the part I do not get. What were you shooting at that gave you trouble?
Shooter31 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 16:13
Koshkin, I know your input is welcomed on here. Do you have any input on my post above?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 14:46
The 4-16x50 is a PST, not the HS-T, and it is available with either SFP or FFP reticles.  Which one of these were you referring to?

The HS-T is the 4-16x44.

Then there is the HS line which has both 4-16x44 and 4-16x50 in it.

Both 4-16x44 and 4-16x50 are good scope, but there are quite a few different version of them, so you need to pick through the features and see which configuration works for you.

Personally, I prefer mil-based adjustments, so I like the PST and HS-T which are available with 0.1mrad turrets.

Just about all of the reticles available in these scopes are not very thick, so if there is hunting in low light in the works, PST is worth the extra money since you might need reticle illumination.

In the $700 range, other scopes to look at are SWFA SS 3-15x42 (if you like FFP reticles, this is a good option), Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (also FFP) and Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 (SFP reticle).

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic