OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rings to install SS on H&R Ultra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rings to install SS on H&R Ultra
    Posted: August/06/2013 at 17:44
I have a H&R Ultra Varmint Fluted 223.  It has a BSA Platinum that I would like to replace.  I'm currently set on a SS 16X42 MQ and need to decide on rings.  I tried to install my 10x42 on with its SSALT mount but it doesn't fit the mount/rail.  It was very close but the slots on top are about 1/8 narrower than Picatinny 1913.  It would mount if I took a file to it.....Chainsaw.......and that's not happening.
Will these work? SWFA SS-Tac 30mm / 1" Rings Stock # - SS30H 

I have a set of 30mm steel Cabela's brand that should work too.....if I can find them........Whacko
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. - Tecumseh
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:00
Eye suggest a smaller magnification due to exit pupil and seemingly the brighter crisper image you will get with a 10x a 6x even better or the 3-9 with variable image.

Sample list has one but you have to pull the trigger.

or 

these will be gone quick just because I posted this here...
No one
SCREAMINXL View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:03
Thanks 338.  Any suggestions on what I should used to hold it on the rifle?  I have gorilla tape.......
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. - Tecumseh
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:08
Since you recommend going 3-9 maybe I should buy the 3-15 and move the 10X I have now onto the H&R.

I was thinking 16X because I only use it on prairie dogs.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:15
I do not think that the SWFA rings are a bad idea for your combination, They will function and can hold anything in place you choose.

I really think the 3-9 would work for you if you need the higher mag range than go the 3-15 but the EP will be diminished at 15x due to the objective. 

What is the twist of the barrel?

What bullets are you going to use?

What range are you going to be targeting?

What are the shooting conditions you expect?

Any chance you can give us more info to help you with your scope decision.

We have many on this forum who can offer you many choices weigh each individually and choose.
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:28
As far as relatively inexpensive rings Warne Rings seem to be good to go.  If you want better the TPS or if you want really good ones Badger Ordnance or Aadland.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:38
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I do not think that the SWFA rings are a bad idea for your combination, They will function and can hold anything in place you choose.

I really think the 3-9 would work for you if you need the higher mag range than go the 3-15 but the EP will be diminished at 15x due to the objective. 

What is the twist of the barrel? 1-12 24"

What bullets are you going to use? 55gr SP Hornady

What range are you going to be targeting? 100-500

What are the shooting conditions you expect? Sunny and with a light breeze......haha  The Pdogs love sun.

Any chance you can give us more info to help you with your scope decision.  I like the 10X42 but a little more Mag helps me on shot placement over 200 on Pdogs.  This rifle has a BSA Platinum 8-32 and has hit many, many dogs +1 dumb coyote.

We have many on this forum who can offer you many choices weigh each individually and choose.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCREAMINXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2013 at 18:40
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

As far as relatively inexpensive rings Warne Rings seem to be good to go.  If you want better the TPS or if you want really good ones Badger Ordnance or Aadland.

Thanks I will take a look at those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic